DIY 4r100 rebuild? need input on parts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY 4r100 rebuild? need input on parts

ok i have been looking at different options for another trans since mine is toast. I'd love to have a bts, but im not willing to drop that much money in a 15 year old truck. it would cost 4k to have mine rebuilt at a shop and have it built good. or for 3k go with a factory one from ford with the sounds of a great warrenty but i have heard they are strict on what can be done with the truck performance wise. after all this being said, I am a diesel mechanic so I'm not saying I'm a ford tech but am a CAT tech. I have rebuilt transmissions out of heavy equipment which is mostly larger version. I believe i can rebuild the 4r100 if i get the manual for it. now my question is what parts to buy. i want to build this so i know it will handle some extra hp. one day soon i plan to put 400 to 450 hp at the wheel so i want parts that are best for the conditions. so if you know exactly what kits and parts are best list them. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 05:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As for the DIY, there's been a bunch of guys who've done this successfully, here are a couple of links;

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...-poor-man.html
4R100 Rebuild Manual for the DIY - PowerStrokeArmy
Tranny Upgrade Help, IDK what im doing...

But, as for the "improvements" (case & support mods / machining etc.), I think that's what you're paying for from BTS and others. I'm not sure how much of that you'll be able to find or even be able to do...
Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm right in the middle of replacing the trans in my e99 F250 4x4 - I had a cv joint go out on me out on the road earlier this year and had to get the driveshaft repaired while in Florida (rear driveshaft). I noticed it still had some vibration on the trip home to TN. and then it had some noise when accelerating in reverse so I got under it and found the bellhousing cracked from the starter all the way up to 12 o'clock. When I got the trans out yesterday I found the flexplate cracked all the way around the bolts - good thing I ordered a new one with the trans !! I figured it would be broken ...

I decided on the 4R100HD reman from Ford - the 3 dealers I checked with hadn't ever heard of these for the '99 - 03' 7.3. I ended up getting mine from AutoNation Ford - it was cheaper even with shipping than paying our 9.75% sales tax here. $2754 plus $250 shipping. I'm installing it at the shop where I work, been a pro mechanic for 42 years.

I've got it all put back together today but still have to mount the new cooler, I opted for a Tru Cool Max 4739-1 cooler. It is almost exactly the same as the original equipment except that it has 5 more plates to it. The original hoses will screw right to the cooler, just have to remove the grill so I can move the cooler up just a little from the stock location because it is taller.

Tomorrow will be the acid test, I'll see how this trans does. My truck is pure stock other than a 4" exhaust and the AIS air filter. It's possible I'll have to get programming for the ECM from a dealer if they even still offer it for a '99. Currently I'm not towing much but plan to in the near future.

I also put a set of bellowed up pipes from Riffraff while I had the trans out, was tough spending the extra $500 but sure was a lot easier while the trans was out. They fit very well and appeared to be well-constructed.

I'll report on how this trans does by the weekend after I've driven it some.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just put a converter in my trans (PI Stallion) and though the same thing about the Up Pipes

I put the HI bellowed ones in and changed the pedestal O-Rings while everything was so open...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I ended up going with the 4r100HD since I got a good deal at a lil under 2500$
3 year unlimited mile warrenty
I plan on keeping the truck for prolly another 2 years maybe 3 so I figure this route was best for me
my only question is what torque converter is exactly in these 4r100HD??
I know its upgraded but exactly what does that mean
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, I said I would report on the 4R100HD so here it is so far. I've only had the chance to put about 400 miles on it since installation last week. I was a little worried when I opened the shipping case and that crappy, greasy silver paint was there instead of a sandblasted case and as usual there was wads of dirt & grease in some nooks in the case that they just painted right over. When I see this kind of work it makes me worry about the innards as well. I had a carburetor rebuilding shop for many years and know what shoddy cleaning can cause. Hardly anybody takes pride in their work anymore. All of the electronics looked new as it was supposed to. Torque converter was unmarked and unpainted so anybody's guess on what it really is.

It only took 3 1/2 qts. additional Mercon 5 to top it all off, including the new cooler. The trans doesn't shift as firmly as the one I took out - it was a no-name reman. from whenever. I only changed the trans because of the busted bellhousing. Occassionally the 2-3 shift and the 4-3 bobble back n' forth a little but sometimes it doesn't. I have to check with a Ford dealer to see about getting the latest calibration for my PCM, my truck doesn't have any mod stickers and I've only owned it 2 years so I don't know if it's ever been updated. I'll wait until I've taken care of this before I complain much about the shift problem.

I like that the lock-up stays engaged a little longer and more at 100% too. I have my Snap-On scanner in it and have tried to see what's happening with it some. It seems to pull hills a little better without dropping out of OD and lock-up like the other trans did. There have been no leaks whatsoever yet and if the reflash of the PCM makes the shifting a little more consistant I think I'll be happy with it. Time & miles will tell ...
Old 07-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_STROKER_7.3 View Post
I ended up going with the 4r100HD since I got a good deal at a lil under 2500$
3 year unlimited mile warrenty
I plan on keeping the truck for prolly another 2 years maybe 3 so I figure this route was best for me
my only question is what torque converter is exactly in these 4r100HD??
I know its upgraded but exactly what does that mean
I've been trying to figure that one out myself, but yet to find all of the details.

I've seen literature from Ford mentioning it's the same as the one as the HD converter, but does not have the Billet hub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.