99 F250 2WD Trans problem/questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 99 F250 2WD Trans problem/questions

Hello all,

Hoping someone might be able to drive me in the right direction here.

The past weekend I had to go down a very steep switchback grade. I was using the transmission and engine brake to keep my speed down. Towing approx 11k lbs toyhauler and a Polaris RZR in the bed. Once the transmission hit 230 degree's I put it into neutral and started mainly using my brakes. The transmission cooled right down (I have a very large trans cooler) to 190 but my brakes were heating up. Was doing about 40mph and I went to shift it into drive but missed and went directly into second.

There was a very loud bang.. Felt like we hit a wall, it was crazy. As soon as that happened a loud noise started up. Hard to describe. Like a Rattle and a Slap together. Thankfully I was only a half mile from the campground and it was downhill. Once I arrived there I moved the trailer and setup camp, didn't hear the noise. While moving around the campground.

I didn't really have much choice on the way home so I hooked up and started climbing the hill. First and second all the way and no noise. Didn't seem to have as much pull as I thought originally though. Once I was at the top however and on more level ground I got into 3rd and 4th and boy did that noise come back. It did however start to go away after 50 miles or so. Essentially I had to travel 500 miles back home. After that initial 50 miles the sound only occasionally occurred for short bursts. Pulling hills didn't feel the same though, but it did make it home.

I've crawled under there and done a cursory look for anything that came loose but did not see anything. I have to assume the rattle/slap is coming from the transmission. But, it's still moving for now.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

~Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello all,

Still hoping there are suggestions for what I can/should do. today I did some test driving with the truck unloaded. The original slap/rattle sound was gone. I couldnt get it to do it any more. But I have noticed that reverse feels really funny now. Almost a shudder at times when going in reverse. Also, I smelled the fluid and it smells pretty burnt.

Would doing what I described above blow out the reverse in some way?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

Reverse is the first to go when you start losing line pressure. You could try changing your fluid and pull the pan to look for shavings. If there are no shavings you could try just changing the valve body to see if that makes it better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.