Found trucks limit. Hoping didn't push it over. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Found trucks limit. Hoping didn't push it over.

So I delivered a 35' rv trailer to camp ground for someone. Some crazy hills I had to pull but nothing truck couldn't handle.
However getting it into the spot might have pushed it too far. Had to back it up a grass hill and onto a concrete pad with about 3" lip. Had to go very slow since there was 1" clearence each side. Had it in 4wd. She got it in. Pushed onto the pad but then started to smoke. Burning transmission fluid.
Had some drive but obviously was slipping hard. I shut it down and let it sit.
Was fluid drips for a few feet to where I was. But nothing leaking as it sat.
After about an hour it started and pushed rest way and drive home with no issue. Shifted fine. No slipping and no fluid leaking.
However, the fluid is now clear, maybe a slight yellow tinge to it, hard to tell on dipstick but it is not red and stinks of burnt fluid.
Obviously fluid needs changed now. I cooked that. But think I damaged anything? Been thinking of taking it in and having it checked out but on these, it's not a cheap venture. Seems to run fine. No error codes etc
I don't have a temp gauge (I know I know. It's on list now!) but it must have been hot. I was pushing it beyond it's comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When the fluid gets hot it'll leak out of the converter seal. If seen guys bake them and not have issues. Change fluid, filter, and drain the converter (very important). If your trans has been changed once before your converter may not have a drain plug. (Mine doesn't have one). To be on the safe side then take it to a shop and have them perform a trans flush. Those are a little more effective if you can't drain the converter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Do what he said. Sometimes when you get a flush from lube shops they just change the fluid and leave the filter. Next time you have to move something like that put it in 4lo it will put less strain on everything. My guess is that the torque converter heated up the fluid tell it burnt and not from slipping because you where at low speed backing up.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Thanks. Feel little better. It seems fine. I've had engine out twice. Don't remember seeing a drain on converter but wasn't really looking for it.
I tried to get into lo. It wouldn't engage. Not sure why. Xfer case is only couple years old but sometimes I think it gets in a bind. Letting it roll an inch often works but I was committed by that point so went with hi. In hind sight I should have dropped back down hill and tried lo again. Oh well. I'll fix her if need be. I always do. Until the next job.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM

I just bought a 2001 that when I was inspecting everything I thought he was low on transmission fluid, so I didn't think about it too much because he told me the tranny had been rebuilt about 2 years ago.

Well after buying the truck I found out the fluid was actually clear

So I drained the fluid which was somewhat pinkish, but then as it got closer too being empty it turned clear, so what I did was replaced the filter cleaned the magnet, the flushed 6 gallons of fresh ATF. This way I flushed the converter and the valve bodies, it wasn't really shown any sign's of slipping the only thing the transmission does wierd is sometimes when it shifts into OD getting on the interstate the rpm's jump but then goes back down, I think it's the TC unlocking and locking real quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.