4r100 trans woes... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4r100 trans woes...

So a few things that I am looking for info on on the 4r100... I know I should just pull it down and rebuild it or get a bts or a John Wood, but being in Canada shipping will kill me alone...

So to start with my torque converter will not lock automatically I have to use a manual over ride switch to get it to lock, and the od light start to flash when I do this, so I know the grounds are okay to it. No matter how fast I am going or what gear I am in or pulling a trailer or not. 4x4 also stopped working, complaining about the ground contacts, took the shift motor off cleaned everything up and reinstalled... still no 4x4. think this is actually the harness connector at the motor as it is missing the locking tabs.

2nd. Bent my trans pan right at the drain bolt so am looking for a new one I can get a B&M deep pan for a reasonable amount and it only holds 4 qts more then the stock.

I have a 6.0L trans cooler installed all ready as I do a lot of heavy towing. I have a boost, pyro and trans temp gauge in an overhead gauge cluster. truck is not chipped yet. Extreme Stop cross drilled and slotted rotors and pads, rancho 5400 shocks, new rear shock mounts. Riffrraf big boost filter, 203 degree thermostat. hx cross over, plenum inserts and viton boots. 2010 exterior conversion, updated 2006 interior two toned. 285/70/16 tires, Pocket fender flares, King Ranch running boards with lights. custom vacum tubes to the auto hubs.

I am seeing tranny temps taking a bit to come up but even driving around with no load I am see 250 degrees after some time. can see this just idling for a long time as well. I am thinking my cooler bypass is messed up and not allowing enough fluid to flow to the cooler. Trans was rebuilt about 160K. I am assuming stock since done before I got the truck. I have 460,035KM on the truck now.

so what should I be looking at doing besides a full rebuild with a triple disc converter... planning for that in the future but funds dont allow for it right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This should be made into a sticky, I'm so tired of repeatedly repeating myself. If your doing a rebuild, add an extra clutch to the low- reverse drum, add a .427 upshift modulator valve,& install a 95' solenoid block& billet converter. I tow 10,000-20,000 regularly. I have php tunes& a 6.0 cooler. My transmission has 240k miles on it and works great.
The Following User Says Thank You to corn binder For This Useful Post:
Scrmblr2 (10-05-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

4r100 Question

I have never posted on here before, so I thought I would give it a try. I have a 99 f350 7.3 4wd dually with the 4r100. I am getting her ready for a 4000 mile round trip tour outwest. My camper weighs in with all the junk around 9000 lbs. Just service trans with Amsoil torque drive fluid and filter change and flush, changed the oil and grease her up real good. She runs perfect. I have a superchips flashpaq tuner. It has a external cooler in between the ac condenser and radiator but does not look like it has cooler lines to the radiator and it does not look like it has places for them. I'm wondering if there is anything else I possibly need to do for it before I go. I have owned this truck for almost 6 years and it has 335000 miles on it, and have had No major problems. Any info or advice anybody might wanna share would be awesome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.