2000 PSD/ZF6 - Anything Missing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 PSD/ZF6 - Anything Missing?

Good morning everyone...

Last week I bought my first Super Duty, a 2000 F350 SC PSD/ZF6 LWB DRW 4x4 with 261k. I knew it would need a clutch and steering box, but the price was right. It's taking some work, but I'm doing my best to actually resolve common failure points with upgrades rather than replacing common failure parts with more common failure parts.

My current issue with the clutch is that it grabs almost immediately off the floor and behaves very awkwardly when shifting. There's also a substantial amount of rubbing noise coming from the bellhousing while idling in neutral when the clutch pedal is not depressed. If it didn't have so much torque I swear I'd look like a high schooler in the old man's farm truck bouncing off from a stop for the first time. I've already acclimated to the clutch behavior, but I'm thinking it's either due for replacement or SOMETHING in the bellhousing has failed on me. I've done enough 4x4 clutch jobs to know that *I DO NOT* want to have to go into the bellhousing twice... so I'm getting all my parts lined up so that I can tear this thing down, pull out all the old parts, install all the new parts, and put it all back together... hopefully with no major hang-ups.

I'll be ordering the following parts this week:

LUK 07-155 kit with flywheel
5203-2RS for pilot bearing- will have flywheel machined
YC3Z-7515-BB Clutch Fork
Clutch Fork Pivot Stud (don't have PN on me but it is written down at home)

My main question is: How common is it for the release bearing to wear into the retainer? Should I go ahead and plan to replace the bearing retainer and front seal while it's all apart? Does anyone have the part numbers for those items?

Can any of you think of anything else I'm missing? As someone who's five days into ownership, I've done my best to research as thoroughly as I could before I tackle the job, but I figure it can't hurt to open this up for discussion in case I missed something.

The hydraulics FEEL good (at least as good as they can with what seems like a 200# spring pressure against the pedal) and there are no leaks. Since the hydraulics are external, my plan is to leave them alone until I do have a failure or at least a little extra money available, then replace them at that point. I'll more than likely do a full flush to ensure I'm at least working with fresh fluids.

The shifter is impressively tight- coming from my '94 PSD, this one feels like a short throw racing shifter compared to the boat-rowing that took place driving the old truck.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

flush the trans and put some new mercon V in.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is there a synthetic version available that works well on these trucks?
Old 06-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mercon V is synthetic
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ah! Well good! Other than renovating my late grandfather's '94 Ranger for my dad I haven't really paid much attention to transmission fluids... my trail rig will run on damn near anything so I just use what's cheap.

Thanks for the tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.