no hold back issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no hold back issue

Hi everyone. I'm new to the site and was hoping for a little help.

I just swapped a 4r100 tranny from a 99 PSD into a 01 PSD. My issue is I don't have any engine braking in my lower gears. The truck drops to an idle when you let off the gas at low speeds and I have to use the brakes to slow down no matter how steep of an incline I'm on. This didn't happen in the 99 PSD. In that truck, I would use the gas more than the brakes when coming down a hill. I don't think it is the coast clutch because it worked fine in the other truck.

Is there anything engine related that anybody can think of that would cause this? (It does burn some oil and blows blue smoke at startup)

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

another idea

So since no one has posted anything, I'll try another path. My TC locks up intermittently. I drove off the hill the other day (all down hill, 2000' to sea level in 5 miles) and there are two spots where I upshift for a few minutes. When I down shift, sometimes I have compression, sometimes I don't. Sometimes the rpms start going up and sometimes it just drops to an idle and coasts away. Is there a sensor that would cause this? Is there something in my shifter that is not connecting all the way?. If I slow down and then hit the gas, it goes into first and revs up, but when I let off it will go back to an idle coast.

Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

mine goes into coast when i let off the throttle at 40-45 mph or less

do some research on "4r100 coast clutch" and "4r100 coast clutch controller"
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

I took the tranny from my 99 PSD that got rolled and the cab is smashed. Everything worked great on that truck so I swapped out the tranny to my 01 PSD that reverse had gone out in. The 99 had loads of hold back in first and second whereas with the trans now installed in the 01 it doesn't. The trans didn't have any issues the day of the swap so I can't imagine that I would have a bad coast clutch. Maybe a bad controller like you said? I don't know where the controller is. I could swap out the one from my 99 if I knew what to look for.

Another thing to mention is that there is a BD Torqloc installed on the 99 but it automatically shuts off below 25mph. Could it be the PCM? Could I swap those out? Are they compatible? Could the PCM from the 99 have better programing?

I appreciate the help.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

send a private message to mark kovalsky on powerstroke nation. it looks like he was a transmission engineer for ford and is happy to answer questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.