ZF6 Clutch Issue.. What is that noise!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 Clutch Issue.. What is that noise!!

Hello,
I have an early 99 F-250SD 7.3 4x4. 183K on truck and I bought it used, I don't know if the clutch has been replaced ever.

Here are the symptoms I am experiencing, a few weeks ago I started the truck leaving work, put it in reverse and began to back out of my parking spot, I started to hear a slight chirping sound coming from under the truck .. It varies with the pressure I am putting on the clutch pedal and with RPM. It happens most of the time when the truck is at a stop and shifting into 1st or reverse. Once its moving it shifts great like it always has. I replaced the tranny fluid about 13000 miles ago and everything looked good on the drain plug, no big chunks or debris. When the clutch fully engaged (foot off the pedal) there is no abnormal noises, The same goes for then the clutch is disengaged (foot pushing on the pedal) no strange noise. Noise only happens when I put truck in gear and begin to let off the clutch. Fast Forward 2 weeks, I am going to work and I am sitting at stop light and I am having trouble getting truck in gear. no grinding. just tough to go in gear when running. Once the truck is moving, it shifts normal. only when at a stop is it hard to get in gear. I can shut off truck. put in gear like normal... start truck and go. When I start the truck it has no tendency to move in any direction when the clutch is depressed. I have called a few shops and they are suggesting that it is a release bearing? Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Premium Member

Release bearing/throwout bearing is what it sounds like to me as well.

The other thing it might be is your clutch could be so worn you are grinding the rivets and that's what you are hearing. You don't want that because that will destroy the flywheel and they are about 2-300$.

Either way, it's time to drop it and take a good look.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Release bearing/throwout bearing is what it sounds like to me as well.

The other thing it might be is your clutch could be so worn you are grinding the rivets and that's what you are hearing. You don't want that because that will destroy the flywheel and they are about 2-300$.

Either way, it's time to drop it and take a good look.

Thanks for the reply!

I am thinking that I should just buy a kit and get it all over with. The truck is stock and I tow a 12k fifth-wheel occasionally. I was thinking about an exhaust for a little more power but that about it. Will a stock power equivalent replacement kit be sufficient? any recommendations on brands? Southbend and Valair are the only 2 that I see people recommending on the forums..

Thanks again!
-Nick
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Yup if you are just towing a stock power or the lowest rated ones would be just fine.

Either Valair or SB are great
Old 05-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Yup if you are just towing a stock power or the lowest rated ones would be just fine.

Either Valair or SB are great
Just ordered a SB 1939DF Clutch Kit and a MPRP 4in Turbo Back!

I hope it gets here in time for the weekend!

Thanks

-Nick
Old 05-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just and Update,
Took me 3 days but I got it all swapped, (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Throw-out/Release Bearing/ Pilot Bearing) with the South Bend clutch kit, the kit that I bought reused the stock flywheel and it looked to be in good shape... no marring was evident or deposits of clutch material was built up on the surface so I did not bother to get it resurfaced. It was the Pilot Bearing causing the issues as it was missing some of the needles. Also the Clutch Disk was almost down to the rivets.

Now it shifts smooth and goes in gear easily. However there is a slight Hum/whirling sound when the truck is idling and the Clutch is engaged (foot off the pedal) it goes away when the pedal is depressed. Is this just the clutch breaking in? or could it be something more serious? Perhaps ISB (input shaft Bearing) it was dead quiet before the swap.

Any advise?

P.S. The Harbor Freight Trans Jack went through about 6-7 of its 9 lives doing this job!, I had to use a combo of the trans jack and a ratchet strap system suspending the tranny from the frame to get it back together... A NICE Tranny Jack that will hold up to the weight of the ZF6 is really needed to make this job easier and SAFE!.. I was going to try to leave my Transfer case attached and drop the whole chunk as one but the Jack just could not handle the load...
Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It is normal to have that sound at idle in nutral with that style clutch.

Peter
Old 05-29-2014, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

I have the same noise and I also have one of the 1939 clutches. Been in almost a year now no change. You'll stop noticing it soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.