not sure whats going on! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
not sure whats going on!

so i have an 01 powerstroke and the tranny is acting a little goofy. i looked at the fluid and its all nice and clean like it should be but here is my problem. when i go into work in the morning and it was between 30ish to 45ish degrees out that night my truck wont shift into over drive right away i drive it about a mile and come to a longer tight corner and it seems to shift when im in the corner every time. It sits at work for 10 hours and when im on my way home it dose not act like this only when its sitting over night and its "chilly" out. the other thing i have going on is its seems that the rpms get kinda high before it shifts some times but not to noticeable as like when its going to shift into over drive. its not slipping or jerking into gear it just seams like it sits at a certain rpm for 2-3 seconds before it shifts mostly at about 55 to 60 mph. and this dose not happen every time just here and there. Any thought on what my problem could be? could it be a bad valve body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It could just be that the fluid is cold. When the fluid is cold and more viscous it will have different shifting characteristics than it does once the fluid reaches the appropriate operating temperature.

I know mine is pretty sluggish in the mornings but after about 10-20min of driving its back to normal.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
It could just be that the fluid is cold. When the fluid is cold and more viscous it will have different shifting characteristics than it does once the fluid reaches the appropriate operating temperature.

I know mine is pretty sluggish in the mornings but after about 10-20min of driving its back to normal.
i wouldnt be so worried about it but its just weird that it wont shift into od in the morning but it did all winter when it was -40 out and it dosent if its above 50 over night
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Were you letting your truck warm up longer when it was colder? When was the last time the fluid was changed?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will335i View Post
Were you letting your truck warm up longer when it was colder? When was the last time the fluid was changed?
yes always let it warm up. The tranny was replaced 65,000 miles ago so no fluid change yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.