Tranny temps...WEIRD - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 03_Turbo7.3
Tranny temps...WEIRD

so im fartin around in my truck all night, theres 5 of us in it, me,my gf and 3 good buddies, were all around 175-190lbs ( the guys that is ) the gf is little 120 soaking wet with change in her pockets lol, anyways i have my evo edge programmer set on stage 3 like always and 4" turbo back magna flow exaust and DYI intake, truck always runs gets, got temps of like 190 towin last year which is nothing and it shifted awsome, well tonight different story, were doing ALOT of stop go stop go in 4x4, we were towin 2 sleds with my buddies on them behind the truck down some side streets and just goofin around, after like a small 15-20min jaunt to the next location i notice the tranny temps are like 175 and are climbing slowly, i mean were not going anymore then 40mph and hitting everyday red light, oh need i say its also -34 C out side yes i said -34!!!C so thats about -27.4 F lol, FREAKING COLD OUT, so im wondering wtf why are they climbing, so i pay attention to my evo 2 guage and its now at 185, a little further and its at 190, the trucks shifting fine, its not harsh, its all firm, then it hits 195 and im getting worried, the stock guage on the dash is dead center from H-C and isnt moving, then BAM i hit 200 and go WTF and stop instantly, i figure why the hell is it so hot, i get out of the truck while its idling lay on my back and touch the pan, its not really that hot, i can hold my hand on it, so i check the fluid and its good, i jsut replaced the filter and fluid a few months ago, so im thinken WTH nothing seems weird, the tranny temps are going down as we sit there now there at 185 and dropping slowly, and its now -36 outside, it seemed the colder it got the hotter the tranny got, so i turn the truck off, set everything back to stock tunes and start the truck again, everything seems normal no CEL no nothing so i start driving, its at 187 and just sitten there, i get down the highway abit doing like 65MPH and all is well its not going up its staying at about 187-189 and dropping going down hills, it hit 190 after going up a a long hill, drove about 25min home and it didnt come off 188 idled in my yard for a bit and it hit 180 and kept going down, now my question is WTFFFFF!!! i dont get it, it shifted great, didnt lag MAN NOT HAVING THE CHIP ON DOVE ME NUTS SO SLOW LOL, temps were fine after and it ONLY happened once this HUGE cold snap happened tonight, last night was only -20 and the night before -14, is it cause of the cold? is it protecting itself? the stock guage didnt even move from the middle? am i worrying about something i shouldnt be??? any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2008, 03:07 PM

there must be a bug going around cause my edge just started doing the same thing last night.My temps were slowly climbing up to 180-190 and I was hauling nothing and on stage 3.I also noticed mine was shifting fine except for overdrive.It took way longer to shift into overdrive and it would only do it if I let off the gas pedal.I turned around and went home.I went to go in reverse and it acted like I had the brake on.The more I pushed on the pedal,the more it acted like I was pushing on the brake.I put it back to stpck and after a little drive,it was completely fine.The edge is staying on stock for now.Its gotta be cold related.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 PM

i hear ya, i dont get it, im goign to drive mine tomorrow to work and see, ill even drive it in 4x4 the whole time see if i can force the temps up high and if they dont go up then i know its cold related with the edge, its -35 tonight, and i didnt start the truck once today, maybe ill take it for a drive see if i can get her to heat up, probably better to stay on stock for winter anyways lol i already went into the ditch once with it in stage 3 in 2wd lol
Old 12-14-2008, 04:58 PM

yeah ,tell me about it.Its bad when you are in 4wd and you still can't get traction going down the road at 45-55mph.I got to thinking about it and I am wondering if the bypass valve for the tranny fluid is sticking and not allowing the fluid to go through the tranny cooler.If you don't know what it is ,its the little line connecting the 2 lines comming out the side of the tranny on the passenger side.It closes the flow of fluid till the tranny warms up and then opens and lets the fluid flow through the tranny cooler.It pretty much helps the tranny to warms up faster.I have heard that increased line pressure through tuners like edge can cause it to malfunction sometimes and not stay open once warm.I am wondering if its a mixture of the cold weather and the line pressure making it act up.Its my first winter with it so its just a guess.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 PM

this makes 2 of us, i was told about the by pass today and looked it up on my motor all data for work and found out its pretty easy to get a new one if its messing up, im going to crawl under my beast tonight even after i drive it for a bit and see how hot that line is, i felt my pan last night and i mean i could hold my hand on it, it didnt seem like the fluid was going through the cooler because of how fast it was climbing, once i was back in stock mode the truck was slow as balls but it shifted great and ran fine and stayed at about 188, but it didnt increase thank god lol ill deff let you know what i find as we are both having this issue, hopefully a few more ppl can tune in and see if we have a case for edge maybe write them a letter or something and like i said this only happened when it got cold out and this is also my first winter with the edge installed
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM

just went and started my truck, the evo says -8F lol its ****ing cold!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:49 PM

well,mine started acting up again today after it warmed up even on stock.I am gonna try fixing that bypass valve thing and see if thats the problem.I'm hoping it is cause it acts like its not getting proper fluid flow once it gets warmed up after driving awhile and then it really warms up.I'll let you know tomarrow if it fixed it.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 PM

driving in four wheel drive will make the tranny temp rise dont ask me why but i had an 01 f350 and it went to 225 one time crawlin through the woods in 4x4 lo going 5mph. the slower you go the less air you get through the cooler 4x4 plus stop and go= high tranny temps weather you have a load or not
Old 12-16-2008, 04:44 PM

well i think im good to go now, the part is 79$ through ford, i didnt need it, i let my truck warm up again in stock, tranny got to 140 by itself on the way to work, again it was -34 out that night, so it warmed up to -20 during the day and i let it warm up again after work, went for a drive got it warm and brought it in the shop, set it back on stage 3 and went for another spin down the highway, i guess letting it warm up in the shop worked, it no longer goes past about 110-118 bagging on it or not lol, so again today left it in 4x4 and stage 3 the whole way to work its a good 30km, and no more then 118 on the scales, so im good to go i think , ill keep an eye on it and ive started cleaning out the garage to fit her in there ( its heated )
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM

sounds good.Glad its working for you.Seems like nothing goes wrong till its colder than ***t outside.At least you have a heated garage.Mine threw a code today so I gotta take it in unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.