Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Zf6 swap questions

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  schlutzer 
#1 ·
So after my injectors the 4r100 is getting sassy with me. I have to leave it in the economy tune or it will slip. A local transmission guy quoted me 2,800 to build it but he wont tell me what brand parts he uses, and that's got me scared. I keep hearing benefits of the zf6. Most say it is funner to drive, gets better mpg, and is more durable with HP. I was wanting to think of a cummins swap in maybe five years or so too. Destroked quoted like 3,700 compared to 6,300 with a auto. So could I actually get 18mpg compared to 17mpg current? What parts should I look out for transmission, transfer case, pedals, clutch assembly? I plan on doing this maybe in 4 months or so advice is much appreciated.

#2 ·
I did it... The zf6 isn't without its own problems but I'll give you a quick pro and con.

Pro.

Stock for stock its more reliable than the 4r100
Most of the problems are with serviceable pieces( clutch,throwout bearings etc.)
You'll get about 1mpg
You will get better control in certain situations
Its about 1/2 the cost of a premium built auto
It rarely fails in a way that will leave you stranded, things do break but you can usually limp home.

Cons:
Slower in a race.
Finicky with fluid
Shift forks and syncros are susceptible to damage from abuse(like any manual)
Noisy
Not many places have the equipment to service it

As for the swap.

Trannny
Matching t case is easiest
Pcm
Transmission harness
Clutch pedal
Transmission tunnel
Driveshafts or yours modified

Its a really straight forward swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.