Trans or Tuning Problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Question Trans or Tuning Problem?

There is quite a few videos here, so please bare with me. Hopefully someone here can help me out. I am wondering if this is a transmission issue or just an issue with the tuning on my TW chip. Any advice will be appreciated. All of these videos are posted in the order i filmed them, which makes a difference. I explain later in the post.

First video is in the "Economy" tune, with me accelerating like normal. It shifts nice and firm, and exactly how i think it should.

Second video is Economy, full throttle. I lost traction in first, and it hooked up as it shifted to 2nd, thats why the RPM's drop so much during the shift. Otherwise normal shifting.

3rd video is the Daily tune, normal acceleration. The 1-2 shift feels firm, but it shifts into 3rd gear almost immediately after shifting to 2nd. When it shifts into 4th, the TC locks up firm, but the actual gear shift is slow and sloppy. Watch it a few times and watch the tach. Its just slow goin into 4th, and i don't like it.

4th vid is Daily, full throttle. 4x4 is on for traction. It doesn't shift as firm as it does in Economy. SES light is from over boost, my boost fooler isn't set right.

5th is the Tow tune, normal acceleration. Shifts are firm and solid.

6th, Tow at WOT. Once again, nice and firm. Hm, much the way i prefer other things too...

7th is the smoke setting. First is normal accel, then WOT. Normal accel does the quick 2-3 shift thing too. WOT the 1-2 shift was bad, the rest were mediocre. Also, once the turbo kicks in there is very little smoke, is that normal on the smoke setting? I figured it'd still have some smoke.

8th is Extreme, normal accel. Does the wierd 2-3 shift thing again. Also, if i put my foot on the throttle, it will start to accelerate normally, but then at about 1800 or 2000 it takes off, accelerates faster, without me pushing the pedal any further. And the SES light is back on. Its on from when i over boosted in daily. It will only over boost in daily and extreme. The wierd part is that if i over boost, i can switch it to tow or smoke and the light goes out, but then when i put it back to any other setting it comes back on. I tried explaining all that on the video but my mind when blank when i started talking and i just ended up sounding like a moron.

9 and 10 are boosted launches. The shifts freakin suck.

Last edited by Jake; 11-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Keep Strokin

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That is a lot of videos, DAMN! I will give you a bump but that is about as much help as I can be with the 4R100. Just for your general knowledge though my buddy has a Duramax that does the same stuff with his programmer, nothing wrong with the tranny or truck it was actually the programmer in his case. Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 AM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
I think its prolly your chip. Have it reflashed since you should have free ones for life. once the turbo spools up you will prolly lose smoke until you fall into OD.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 PM
PMR = JUNK

Thanks for the info so far, i'm hoping you guys are right and its just a tuning issue. From what ive heard, in extreme it should be squawkin tires goin into 2nd.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
PMR = JUNK

Bedtime Maybe a tech or Tony can chime in here.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Im in about the same boat, as far as shiffting. My tranny has been built, after I had ordered the chip. I spoke to Tony, just havent sent my chip to him for the reburn. He said he could take all the trans stuff off of the chip.

Dont think your really supposed to drive in the smoke setting. Just from what I've heard.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The shifting will change with the power levels, send me the chip and I will tweak the shifting to what your wanting, no worries.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
PMR = JUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by twildman View Post
The shifting will change with the power levels, send me the chip and I will tweak the shifting to what your wanting, no worries.
Alright, ill try callin you tomorrow to get everything figured out. While you have it there is a few other things id like to change too if thats ok. The hardest part is gonna be living without that thing for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.