2001 F250 blinking OD and battery light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 F250 blinking OD and battery light

I have a 2001 Ford F250XL, Auto, 4wd that the battery light is staying on and the OD light blinks when at idle sitting, but the OD light with go out after about 10 seconds of driving. When putting it in reverse right after startup, the engine acts as if some of the injectors aren't firing, like performing an injector cut out test, but will clear up after about 5-10 seconds and will not act up as far as the engine missing for the rest of the day. The truck has a TW 6 position chip and no other upgrades. I did perform an oil change on the transmission and replace the filter approximately 2000 miles ago. I have had issues with the OD light flashing before, but was due to the harness that runs across the cross member, under the transfer case being cut when a tree limb caught it, otherwise I've had no issues with the truck since buying it with 158000 miles and currently has 195000. I have not had a scanner on it, but will try to hook a scanner to the truck monday if I can not come up with a solution to fix the above issues. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How are your batteries and alternator? I've heard your alternator, if bad, and sending the wrong/bad current can put the tranny in to a limp or safe mode, which may be why your battery and OD light are on. Do you notice a difference in your shifts? Harder, or at different rpm than usual etc? Not 100% sure that's why, but thought I would ask.

I'm having some similar issues as well. Not trying to hijack your post by any means, but keep us updated! Good luck!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply, batteries are about a year old and tested good, haven't checked the alternator besides checking charging voltage and is right at 14 volts. Shifting has not changed the entire time, but ever since I put the chip on a year ago, the throttle response does vary, one day it might run like a scalded dog at half throttle, then the next time (usually at start up or right after turning the switch, say from street to economy) you have to have the pedal all the way down to the floor for it to gradually build speed. I have always figured that the contacts need cleaned better due to that issue, but I have removed the chip for now as a precaution, which the OD light still flashes and battery light is on all the time even after removing the chip.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update on post, just went to start the truck, had to jump it. Drove for approximately 20 mins after getting started and shut the truck off, had to jump again, decided I would try checking the voltage again and was 10.59 with the heater fan going and 11.25 with no accessories on. Going to rebuild the alternator tomorrow and see if that cures all the problems.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To the OP,
My truck was doing the exact same thing as your describing. Replaced both batteries and it went away for a day or two but then the problem returned until the truck would die unless under mid to wot.

Went to autozone and bought a NEW not reman alternator for 189$ and bingo that was the problem. Been running fine for 6 months now. I put my money on your alternator and please do yourself a favor and buy a new one not a pos reman. Btw autozone tested the old alternator which tested fine, that's why I bought batteries first but the alternator was the problem. Unless you actually load test the unit, their little machine doesn't necessarily give an accurate reading they hookup in the parking lot.

Last edited by Gman239; 03-26-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How did the rebuilt alternator work on it? Still same issues? Good luck!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Worked good, still holding up, od light was due the harness that runs along the cross member and transfer case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.