bts or stock rebuild - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bts or stock rebuild

I really need opinions here. My truck has 290k miles on the original motor and tranny(I believe). when I do need to replace my trany would you just do a stock rebuild with a valve body and cooler or just get a bts. I really am hesitant to throw 5k in a daily driver/work truck. I do depend on this truck and put about 30k miles a year. I tow frequently but usually about 2 tons but occasionally up to 7 or 8 tons. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.
jimboesfo likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Price difference between a BTS and a HD ford reman isn't that large. BTS last trans you will buy.

Pm me if I can get you one.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your planning on putting money on a rebuilt trans, upgraded valve body, converter, and probably 6.0 cooler, BTS hands down! Why save a little money and have to rebuild it again down the road?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM

Cary is correct, it isn't that much more for a BTS tranny.

I have a BTS, but I would still look into a John Wood tranny. I have a couple friends who I have sent to BTS who have had problems. It was actually embarrassing. I spoke so highly of them and that it was the last tranny they would buy. One was completely stranded a 1,000 miles from home and that was the first trip he took with the truck with his family. I do like Brian and I do like BTS! They do have great customer service, great people, but I think they have just grown now to where some issues come up.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM

Honestly unless you are planning on street racing or wanting to build this over power bearing beast you will be fine with a stock rebuild! Just make sure you get it done at a reputable shop Had mine done 4 months ago 10k miles later No issues cost me $3600.00 OTD with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. BTS tranny alone is like $4,600 with no install...So if something does go wrong you have to pull the tranny out and ship back to them....Lots of added labor and shipping costs after the fact.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by over200 View Post
Honestly unless you are planning on street racing or wanting to build this over power bearing beast you will be fine with a stock rebuild! Just make sure you get it done at a reputable shop Had mine done 4 months ago 10k miles later No issues cost me $3600.00 OTD with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. BTS tranny alone is like $4,600 with no install...So if something does go wrong you have to pull the tranny out and ship back to them....Lots of added labor and shipping costs after the fact.
Without putting exact numbers out there, I was quoted not too much higher than the $4600 installed at BTS. I guess it depends on how close you are to the shop, but I planned on making a road trip of it when my penny jar fills up enough times to buy one.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No shipping costs 1st 2 years..

The trans isn't $4600

and as stated last trans you will but vs. a std rebuild every 100k+-
Old 03-12-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
No shipping costs 1st 2 years..

The trans isn't $4600

and as stated last trans you will but vs. a std rebuild every 100k+-
I did say like $4600 not exact but ah yes I have priced and your saying a BTS is not between $4500- $5000 shipped TMD?? and then unless you are doing the install yourself assuming you have the right tools and equipment to do it what is labor going to cost for install $500?...How far out of line am I? Real curious
Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by layson View Post
Cary is correct, it isn't that much more for a BTS tranny.

I have a BTS, but I would still look into a John Wood tranny. I have a couple friends who I have sent to BTS who have had problems. It was actually embarrassing. I spoke so highly of them and that it was the last tranny they would buy. One was completely stranded a 1,000 miles from home and that was the first trip he took with the truck with his family. I do like Brian and I do like BTS! They do have great customer service, great people, but I think they have just grown now to where some issues come up.
So are you saying even with only 400 or so horse I could run into problems with the years to come, I don't drive it hard
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 PM

Buy once cry once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.