Time for a tranny service - What exectly should i have done? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for a tranny service - What exectly should i have done?

I recently purchased a 2002 F350 Lariat with 117000 miles. It's time for a tranny service and I'm wondering what exactly I should have done. Flush/No flush? Best fluid to use? Best place to take it to? Could I do it on my own? I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I just want to be sure it gets done right. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can do it yourself it's not hard at all, I would drop the pan and replace the filter then flush the transmission, too flush the transmission you will need 5 gallons of fluid (Merc/Dex) I use the Gastrol fluid, then what you do is remove the return line and I use a 10ft piece of clear tubing that I plug into the return line. When you put the pan back on you will need to put in about 1.5 gallons, then start the truck and pump out 1 gallon, shut off the motor and replace 1 gallon, do this until you have cycled your 5 gallons. This will change the fluid in the transmission and converter.

Here is a detailed flush procedure by Mark a former Transmission Tech with Ford

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4338
Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I flushed my fluid after purchasing my truck 2 years ago. 272000 miles and the fluid was dark but the tranny was shifting ok. I was told by some to not change it because it would cause problems.
I felt it needed changing anyway. Dropped the pan and changed filter and also took the plug out of the torque converter and drained it. I have a 2000 and it has a very noisy converter and I was hoping to quiet it down. I also gently blew the fluid out of the cooler lines. Refilled it and it still shifts well. Still has a noisy TC though, didn't even touch the sound. Fluid looks better but still has a bit of a dark tint to it.
I'm planning on driving it til it fails or reasonably needs another fluid change.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info
Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

I always recommend not flushing. When I had my 02' I was warned not to flush the trans because it will loosen up sediments and cause the whole trans to go bad quicker. Ended up doing the flush and a week later the transmission went out. Maybe it was coincidence however. My friends trans in his 99 never went out and he was always with the theory of change the filter and fluid only.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM

That is all I do, drop pan, change filter and then fill with fluid. Do it ever 30k or so...
Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred_stroker View Post
I always recommend not flushing. When I had my 02' I was warned not to flush the trans because it will loosen up sediments and cause the whole trans to go bad quicker. Ended up doing the flush and a week later the transmission went out. Maybe it was coincidence however. My friends trans in his 99 never went out and he was always with the theory of change the filter and fluid only.
Who warned you?? was it a transmission person?? I follow the procedure layed out by Mark who use too work for Ford's transmission dept.

I'm not expert but wouldn't you want too clean the sediment out??

I just want to do what's best for my over $4K transmission
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM

i think most guys just drop the pan and change the filter.

i THINK hucorey mentioned that bts recommends this as well.
hopefully they will chime in.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I elected to try and see if I could improve fluid color and quiet the converter. I was told by a powerstroke mechanic my torque converter would soon fail because of the noise it was making. I figured that I had not so much to lose if it was on its way out. That was 20k miles ago since my flush. I am considering it again.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:33 PM

my friend has a 7.3 work truck that the converter has sounded like chit for the last 200k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.