OEM Transmission problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Living on a prayer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM Transmission problems

I replaced my original tranny at 175K miles with another OEM tranny, TC, and trans cooler. Last week I did low speed (between 15-30 mph) driving on steep gravel roads, washboards, slick mucky spots, sometimes in 4x4. Put about 70 miles on it crawling around roads in about 8 days of hunting. At about 40 miles I stopped, shifted into reverse, and the whole truck shuddered. It took the whole pedal to get the truck moving in reverse. Then a few minutes later i hit the brakes while in "Drive" and the truck did the shudder again before settling down. I checked trans fluid (OK), checked for leaks and found a small amount of pink trans fluid dripping down the cross-body brace where the trans meets the differential. It looked like there was a spot of tranny fluid above the tranny on the bottom of the floorboards. i wiped it clean and let the truck sit another 12 hours before starting it again. I drove gently and had no leaks since. Still feels like there's something wrong when going into Reverse. During this whole time I've been in Stock setting on my DP Tuner, before and after the incident. I did a downshift a few times the day of the problem into 2nd and 1st going down a steep grade, and i was going probably about 10-15 mph when i downshifted.
I remember reading somewhere about issues with stock trannys when downshifting downhill. Btw my tranny fluid looked and smelled good. It has about 10K miles on it.
I dropped it off at the shop today. Shop said they suspect overheating which caused it to spit up fluid which worked its way down from the top and dripped at the back of the trans. They don't see evidence that the tranny fluid escaped any other way.
can extended driving under TC lockup speeds, and the use of 1st/2nd downhill cause overheating? i was really being pretty gentle on it. Or maybe it's TC related?
and I didn't shoot anything either! but still had a pretty great hunting trip.

Last edited by samiam; 10-28-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Living on a prayer

Shop tested line pressures and examined some fluid but found no problems. Ford Motorcraft Warranty rep told me i wouldn't void my warranty if I added a larger or better tranny cooler, or a deeper pan on the trans. I am thinking i'll go the route of a better tranny cooler. tru-cool? what size? oh, and Ford scolded me for using 1st and 2nd to "brake" going downhill. I don't know if that's an excuse for a weak product, or if it's just really bad on any auto trans. Brake pads are cheaper I guess.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the followup, Sam- it's always nice to get a clearer picture of a problem rather than leaving the next guy hanging.

Odd that they nixed the idea of low-gearing it down a hill, that really seems weird. I know other members of my 4WD club with auto trannies did it, but those were generally older, valve-shifted trannies rather than computer-controlled like the E4OD. Could be that the force-feedback from the driveline and locked TC did cause it to overheat, who knows.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Living on a prayer

I'm looking at the Tru-cool 40K, but do I need to get a thermal bypass? it's often in the 30's and i do drive it up in the mountain snow a bit, but i'm getting the idea that for our superduty we don't need the additional thermal bypass kit with the tru-cool.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Oilfield Trash

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
why did you use the 1 and 2 gear instead of 3 with od off?

brakes are cheap but if they over heat and cause brake fade, your screwed goin down the hill
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

99 f250 tranny noise

my 99 f250 has really loud and annoying rattle coming from the tranny. it only does it when i am off the the throttle. it almost sounds like a bearing going bad. anyone have the same problem?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

""why did you use the 1 and 2 gear instead of 3 with od off?""
I think he said he was hunting. I also "think" hunting is illegal on asphalt. (BG)

"oh, and Ford scolded me for using 1st and 2nd to "brake" going downhill."

That burns me up!! Just like those (^$@#*&) warranty companies that void the warranty because you have one size larger tire on your truck!!
As a professional transmission tech, I can tell you that did NOT damage your trans in ANY way.
No thermal bypass needed but, if you have a cooler in the rad and an air cooler, do not add a 3rd cooler unless you bypass the rad cooler.
A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work!!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Living on a prayer

So here's what's happening now - didn't think I needed to start a new thread on this since this was my thread to begin with.
I've had my dp tuner in for about 8 months. My trans was new from Ford in October 2007, still under warranty. For a couple months I've smelled trans fluid (hot/burnt/?) and took it to my fav local diesel shop which also installed the stock Ford trans for me. They diagnosed a 2/3 clutch slip and said the shift was a bit long and "flared" between 2/3. This was with the Tuner in both the 40T and 80E modes, with the truck unloaded. Also remember I have changed the PCM to a PMT1 from the XLE4 original.
I removed the DP Tuner and PMT1 and reinstalled the XLE4 last night, and test drove it again at the shop this morning. The 2/3 slip problem wasn't noticeable. The mechanic says that it's the extra HP that is bringing out the slippage.
My plan is to leave the XLE4 PCM in the truck a few weeks and drive it a bit harder than normal to see if I the trans starts to deteriorate under stock conditions, then I'll attempt a Ford warranty service.
The are no codes showing up.
I could flush the trans fluid, but it is totally clean (except the burnt clutch smell as evidence) and only has 10K miles on it.
Anyone have advice for me at this point? Is my plan good? Dang I already miss my DP Tuner and have only driven 30 miles without it.
Oh almost forgot to mention the trans temp details. Driving in town with DP Tuner and PMT1 on a 55 degree morning I see about 125 normally. Today with the XLE4 in town at 55 degree I saw it up to 140. I noticed the TC lockup was less consistent and much less firm than with the DP Tuner and PMT1.
Also the shop tested Trans pump line pressures and thought they were good.

Last edited by samiam; 06-25-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Living on a prayer

Here's an update. Jody Tipton (DP Tuner) asked me to test tranny line pressure to get comparison data with the old XLE4 PCM and also the PMT1 without the chip installed. I hope to get that done early next week.

Last edited by samiam; 06-26-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.