Shifting Problem PLEASE HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifting Problem PLEASE HELP!!!

OK... So I'm driving home from work tonight and I got off the interstate. I was taking off from a stop light and when my truck was trying to shift into second it was like I was riding the breaks... I pulled over and checked the fluid and it was good. Then I tried it agian, this time it went through second and third and when it tried to shift into overdrive it did it agian. My fluid got pretty hot at this point and the motor seems fine (no loss of power or anything). I was thinking maybe a TC, but I am clueless... Any help would be GREAT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If it helps, I pulled the codes on it this morning and got a P0782 which says 2:3 shift error. I guess it seems like it is trying to go into two gears at once. I am going to pull the valve body out and check that. Does anyone have a diagram of this assembly???
Old 10-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i've never been too knowledgeable when it comes to specifics in transmissions. usually when it does something like that i would say something in the trans is defective, and therefore the trans is pretty much toast. it's hard to say with these transmissions though. when mine went it lost overdrive about 15k miles earlier. then all the forward gear started going out one by one in one day, and i think the od light was flashing for a while before this. it was shifting pretty hard mainly from 2nd to 3rd i particularly remember mine, and whoever elses bodies being thrown from our positions a little bit. thats how rough it was shifting. fluid was full, and clean too.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well I checked almost everything out in the bottom end of the tranny and still no luck. The only thing I couldn't get down was the silonoid pack, but I did read them with an ohm meter to see if there was any major differences and there weren't. I am hoping one of them could be stuck... Does anyone know if this could be a possible cause???
Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM

what ever became of it?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I ended up rebuilding the tranny. I found a broken gear that goes on the direct clutch housing. I bought a book from my local transmission parts supply house and it said to go back to a different style direct clutch housing... Everything seems to be holding up well and I went ahead and beefed it up while I was in there. Have to say that was a pat my self on the back experience... I made up some good words when I was putting it back under the truck with the transfer case though. NOT FUN!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM

well good,glad you got it fixed.Nothing like doing it yourself too.My buddy got a book and tried rbuilding hi e40d and he screwed something up with it and burned up his brand new clutches.Had to end up taking it in so I'm glad you got it alright.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was very nervous about dropping 1300 in something and not knowing if it would work or not, but we just kept everything very organized and took lots of pictures... We also bought a book and my dad read while I assembled and we often double checked each other. It was a very long process, but having 2 people was a huge help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.