Is this a torque converter problem *video - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this a torque converter problem *video

1999 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 Crew cab
185,000 miles
7.3 Turbo Diesel

My truck has 185,000 miles on it, and over the last 50,000 or so the noise at idle in the video has grown louder. It's at the point now, that it is really loud and makes driving the truck around any other people a pain since it makes so much noise at or below 1000 rpm. I have heard various suggestions, but the most prevalent is torque converter. The noise I am refering to is the loud intermitent grating or loud growling sound. It is worst in the mornings when the engine is cold, and comes back any time it drops below 1000 rpm, moving or not. I had another suggestion that it was the turbo scraping and echoing down the pipe, but when I put a stethascope directly on the turbo by the wheel, I can hear anything abnormal. However when I do the same to the front of the transmission, it *sounds* like that is where the noise is coming from.. by the small weep hole on that plate under there.

Also, it will never make the noise if I am giving it gas. When moving, the noise usually won't return until around 750-800rpm, and if I put one foot on the brake and one on the gas, I can prevent it from making the noise, even at a dead stop.. as long as I am giving it gas (err diesel) What do you guys think?

Vid 1
YouTube - What's causing this noise

Vid 2
YouTube - truck noise 2

Last edited by Mindstream; 10-10-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
flexplate possibley cracked..noises can travel in weird ways starter drive could be bad and its bouncing out into the flexplate also.. seen this many times
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
What u talkin bout willis

Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
NOT SURE GONNA GIVE YA a SO THE TECHS CAN SEE THIS
Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj Ford View Post
flexplate possibley cracked..noises can travel in weird ways starter drive could be bad and its bouncing out into the flexplate also.. seen this many times
CJ - Is there a good way to determine if this is the case.. how can I check it?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:19 AM

Absolutely TC. One of my delivery drivers had that exact same sound on his truck. I always new when he pulled into the driveway. His lasted him a couple of years while making that noise and he hauls heavy loads all over the country. He finally got a replacement TC and it fixed the problem. There is no question in my mind that is the TC.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbols View Post
Absolutely TC. One of my delivery drivers had that exact same sound on his truck. I always new when he pulled into the driveway. His lasted him a couple of years while making that noise and he hauls heavy loads all over the country. He finally got a replacement TC and it fixed the problem. There is no question in my mind that is the TC.
That is the most certain anyone has been on this issue. I suspected that if someone heard it that had heard it before, they would definately remember.. it's loud as can be and really annoying. I'm the same way, when I pull up outside my wife's building at work, everyone knows I'm there, and it's a good sized brick office building. There was another guy on here who described something very similar, and he replaced the TC also. I have a PM to him to have him take a listen, and I am hoping he will agree with you, and I suspect he will.

So how much of a PIA is the TC swap out.. any good sources, and/or online writeups or instructions?

Thanks again! This site rocks!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 AM

how is the trans for driving? any noticable slipping? bad mileage?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
Our tree trimming crew has an f550 with tthe 7.3(2000 model), and it had that exact noise for over a year. At idle, we could hear em a mile. As soon as they would touch the throttle, it would disappear. The city garage changed the converter, and the noise dissappeared. Never any drivability issues up till the end.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:43 PM

T/C swap is a pain in the Butt well it's not bad but the tranny is pretty big it all just matters if you have a trans jack or not I helped a friend do his I just paid the $100 for the install but I had the tranny & T/C blow to pieces on me.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Cynic

I busted a flex plate and it made that same noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.