Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4WL won't engage

969 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Macon 
#1 ·
I am not sure where to start looking to trouble shoot this one. I'm having problems with my '03 F250. 4WH works just fine but nothing happens when I switch to 4WL. It stays in 4 wheel drive but nothing happens to the gearing, the 4WL dash light doesn't even come on.

Any ideas on where to start looking for the problem?

Thanks,

#2 ·
Looks like I put this in the wrong section. It is more of a transfer case problem and not a transmission problem. Please forgive me.

#4 ·
One thing have learned over the years is don't overlook the obvious. Thanks for saying something, I didn't know about it needed to be in neutral. I did have it in park but not neutral. I will give it a shot in the morning. Thanks for the pointer.

#5 ·
Have it in neutral and have your foot on the brake. Some trucks require that you stand on the brake like your trying to not go over a cliff. If you have a problem at that point, put it in reverse, back up a couple of feet, and try it again.

#6 ·
It's confirmed. User error was the cause of this problem. 4WL works just fine. Thanks for you help guys.

#8 ·
Good deal :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.