SES Light and OD Blinking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SES Light and OD Blinking [updated: codes read + solenoid pack pulled]

My SES light has been on and off for awhile now, used to come on only after more then 20mins of driving and usually it would go away after I turn the truck off, but now it is on all the time, (engine seems to run fine) and more recently the trans OD light has been flashing also, usually after more then 15 mins of driving, and after it comes on the trans will shift quite hard, (I have read this is limp mode, which is increases line pressure). Sometimes it won't shift into overdrive, it stays at 2500rpm on the highway doesn't matter what you do with the pedal then it will all of a sudden shift into OD after several minuites of not shifting...

I had the OD light blinking awhile ago and i cleaned the VSS in the rear diff and that made it go away, this was only a few weeks ago so i'm sure that isn't causing the OD light blinking this time.

I have checked the bypass tube after 20minuites of driving with the OD blinking, and the tube is cold, so I guess it's not the trans cooler bypass valve setting an overheat code...

I'm guessing my torque convertor is on its way out, or gone, I guess I need to take it in a get the codes pulled, I was just wondering is anyone has had similar circumstances?

What are the simptoms of a bad torque convertor?

Last edited by Phiber Optik; 10-21-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to RedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckGirl
I had incredibly similar symptoms. It all led to a tranny replacement as there was metal in the pan and overdrive was gone. It started going out a month before it totally went out (still had all gears outside of overdrive-truck acted like it wanted to shift but it just wasn't there). At first we thought it may have been the torque converter, unfortunately it wasn't. The tranny threw all kinds of codes (O/D flashed and after a bit the SES light came on). Never burned the fluid, but as I said, the bottom of the pan was full of shavings (the pan was full of clutch material).
Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber Optik View Post
My SES light has been on and off for awhile now, used to come on only after more then 20mins of driving and usually it would go away after I turn the truck off, but now it is on all the time, (engine seems to run fine) and more recently the trans OD light has been flashing also, usually after more then 15 mins of driving, and after it comes on the trans will shift quite hard, (I have read this is limp mode, which is increases line pressure). Sometimes it won't shift into overdrive, it stays at 2500rpm on the highway doesn't matter what you do with the pedal then it will all of a sudden shift into OD after several minuites of not shifting...

I had the OD light blinking awhile ago and i cleaned the VSS in the rear diff and that made it go away, this was only a few weeks ago so i'm sure that isn't causing the OD light blinking this time.

I have checked the bypass tube after 20minuites of driving with the OD blinking, and the tube is cold, so I guess it's not the trans cooler bypass valve setting an overheat code...

I'm guessing my torque convertor is on its way out, or gone, I guess I need to take it in a get the codes pulled, I was just wondering is anyone has had similar circumstances?

What are the simptoms of a bad torque convertor?

Your best bet right now would be to get your hands on a diagnostic tool that can read transmission codes. Your blinking OD light is telling you there's a DTC. I would go down this route before you do anything else.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Got the codes read, cleared and then snap on system test, with no new codes appearing.

P0603 Internal Control Module KAN error

P0783 3-4 Shift error

P0781 1-2 Shift error

P01751 Shift Selenoid 2 Fault

Do you think the selenoid pack caused all those problems?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber Optik View Post
Got the codes read, cleared and then snap on system test, with no new codes appearing.

P0603 Internal Control Module KAN error

P0783 3-4 Shift error

P0781 1-2 Shift error

P01751 Shift Selenoid 2 Fault

Do you think the selenoid pack caused all those problems?
Not necessarily. I've seen other problems trigger off shift/solenoid DTCs. I'd wait until another forum member can shine some light. See if you can contact either Scuffy828, Dirk, or NCHornet. These guys are techs & are ALL pretty good with deciphering codes.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i would like to know what the fluid looked like ,was it full, and if you have a circuit code i would want to make sure all wiring was good , the last code being a circuit code i would want to address first , then the other 2 are basically are slip codes , incorrect ratio means its slipping, check all connections , clear the system and drive , see what comes back, and let me know about the fluid
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Cynic

It is possible that the problem is in the solenoid pack.

What Scott said too. I think the Ford service manual says something like "Circuit, solenoid, hydraulic/mechanical failure" for those codes.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:53 PM

I have checked the fluid a few times recently, the level has been good but I did smell a hint of what I thought to be burnt fluid and some small air bubbles came up in the fluid on the dip stick also (i'm not sure if that is significant)

Would you suggest changing the fluid and filter?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:13 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

may not be a bad idea , and check over wiring, wont hurt anything
Old 10-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

What are the current trans temps?

NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.