Auto Trans get'n sassy with me! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto Trans get'n sassy with me!

Well I had my auto trans serviced last summer and all checked out fine, truck is stock so it shouldn't be pissing off the trans much. But just recently I was pulling away from a light and noticed just the slightest slip and catch while taking off in drive. I didn't think much of it being winter here in MN and lots of times that just some ice or slipping on the painted crosswalk lines. But I noticed it a couple more times over the next week or so when I knew it wasn't ice or snow. If I start off slow enough I can't feel it, but if I hit the pedal right away from a dead stop I notice the slip then catch and the rest of the gears are fine. If I put it in 1st manually there is no slip at all. I also tested it from a dead stop just putting it in gear and letting it idle. takes off really well like it should in first no delay. But if I put it in drive it delays a little and no jerky in gear right a way feel and slowly picks up speed. if I have it in 4x4 its even worse hardly moves at idle I suppose from the added drag.

I guess my question would be what would this be if when putting it in 1st it shifts great and in drive it slips just a little..well could a bunch I guess if I massed the gas from the start maybe..but needless to say I have not done that yet. I just start off in 1st right now till I figure it out. Just when I was going years with this thing never having one major problem..and that bastard tranny sneaks up on me even after being nice and not modding the truck at all.

your help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok update on the situation. Lately when I've been trying to just put it in 1st manually its been wanting to almost die. It starts to kinda chung and want to take off. what is that about? Truck was kinda cold but not really. only from sitting at a light for a while in sub zero temps.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like converter problem man. Sorry about luck with it. How many miles on her?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-21-2014, 05:28 PM

X2 i had similar problems and my converter let go after awhile.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think she's sittn at around 235k, pretty sure all original equipment. So with a converter going out,is the Trans itself ok? I was reading that a full flush service can be bad on a Trans that hadnt been serviced for a while. Which I had just done last summer. Should I maybe try and drop the pan and check the filter out and replace and fill and see what happens? I know some have had luck with that. It was working great for years,but it just has the slightest slip now this winter. And I can start out slow enough most the time and never notice it. Some sound like they are dead in the water when theirs go out.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 PM

my friends dad has a f250 and the tq converter has been slipping for a long time. they just keep driving the truck, it has literally done it for years.

a good tune actually helps the trans.

the stock trans tuning is too soft, this just wears out all the clutches in between shifts.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPig View Post
I think she's sittn at around 235k, pretty sure all original equipment. So with a converter going out,is the Trans itself ok? I was reading that a full flush service can be bad on a Trans that hadnt been serviced for a while. Which I had just done last summer. Should I maybe try and drop the pan and check the filter out and replace and fill and see what happens? I know some have had luck with that. It was working great for years,but it just has the slightest slip now this winter. And I can start out slow enough most the time and never notice it. Some sound like they are dead in the water when theirs go out.
in my experience, the sooner you catch the converter and replace it, the longer your tranny will last. Mine let go with a boom and sent all kinds of **** through my tranny, the pan looked like a sandy beach so i replaced the whole tranny. Pull your tranny plug and see how much fuzzies you have on it. a little fuzzy is healthy, a lot is no good. If you want a picture of a lot i can post one
Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well got around to checking the trans fluid level(haven't driven it for a while) cold check, nothing on it. So I let it warm up drive it around for a bit to get warm, check it, nothing on the stick. put a quart in, nothing. another in, nothing, after the third quart it started showing on the cold line. Now it hadn't been leaking anywhere and I just had it serviced last summer so I didn't even think there would be a problem with fluid. then it got me thinking...better check the t-case for a little extra fluid. opened it up and got a nice surprise! Made a great mess even being prepared with a pan. Guess I blew the rear seal between the two. anyone know if that's just as simple and unbolt the drive shafts, unbolt the t-case and slide it back and just replace the seal? or is that a much more complicated seal to replace? thanks!

nice nasty combo..easy 3+ quarts of crap came out
Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM

You think maybe it could be the driveshaft slip yoke?

on edit: I see you're on to something.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Unfortuantly I think the damage to your torque converter is already done. 3 quarts is quite a bit. Hopefully its just the torque converter that is bad and the the clutch packs didnt get ruined.

With that many miles though, consider yourself lucky that it lasted that long. I would start saving for a full transmission rebuild with BTS or JW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.