Transmission failure - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission failure

I have a '00 F-250, 7.3L, 108,000 miles. Reverse went out, so had to have a remanufacture put in. "First" replacement tranny shifted really hard, also OD light started flashing after about two minutes of driving. So another was ordered and put in. This one shifts much better, but the OD light still flashes. Mechanic replaced a speed sensor of some sort on the transmission, but no joy. Light still flashes after two minutes.

Took truck to Ford dealer, they "flashed" the computer. Nothing was mentioned about fault codes. OD light still flashes.

So here I am stuck in a motel in Ft. Collins, Colorado for the past week. Any idea about the OD light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to RedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckGirl
If your O/D light is flashing I bet that there is a code being stored in there. When my tranny gave out on me (at 99,000 miles), all that happened was the O/D light started flashing. I only lost overdrive when the transmission failed, and I cleared the codes multiple times and was receiving different codes each time. The "Input turbine speed sensor circuit no signal" code was recieved multiple times however. Either way, the tranny was toast, full of metal shavings and had to be replaced. It never did get hot or burn the fluid.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When the OD light flashes a code is stored in the computer's memory. It stays there even if the light stops flashing. The only way to know where to start is to have the codes read. The places that read codes free can't read Ford trans codes.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K View Post
When the OD light flashes a code is stored in the computer's memory. It stays there even if the light stops flashing. The only way to know where to start is to have the codes read. The places that read codes free can't read Ford trans codes.
Listen to this guy he was a Ford tranny engineer. If anyone would know he would.
If the lights blinking there are codes in the tranny.

Welcome to the site Mark
Old 10-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

when the trans went on my 00 f 350 it lost overdrive about 15k miles or something before it lost reverse, and then eventually it lost all the forward gears the same day reverse went out. it went out at about 109k also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.