Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Death of a 4R100 and what to do

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Red9999 
#1 ·
Hello all; first off let me thank everyone on here for the wealth of information. The truck in my Sig is my first diesel, and the things I've learned here, and at the other diesel websites is awesome. But I joined here. :D
Last night I went to pull out onto the busy highway, and rpms went up like I had went into neutral. I was in denial for a few minutes as I braked (luckily I didn't roll out into the road) and put the devils scan tool (aka Syperchips 1705) and hoped to see some magic code that would tell me this was a simple cheap fix. Yeah...no such thing. The KAM and AIH code...boring.
So its full of good fluid, doesn't smell bad and no bad sounds from tranny. Engine RPM changes relative to gear selection. After sitting still with the engine off for 10 min I restarted the truck and I had power to the ground! I quickly put it into reverse and eased back off the road into a parking spot and it was losing "pull" until it went into "loose mode" again. Best I can tell, some shaft decided to slim down its splines , twisted off, or the TC just gave it up...I would like to know what else it could be, so wiser minds please teach the new guy! I know for the miles on the tranny its done its job better than some, but it still hurts my feelings, lol.
Confession: I have made a total of 5 full throttle runs, (2 from a standstill) with the 1705 performance tune installed. I know there are better tunes out there, I do. But if I could make this truck live at that power level I would be ecstatic. I digress, that's for another thread. The day my tranny died I had drove like grandpa, no warning it was going out. I had stepped it down to tow performance tune when this happened, and I've only borrowed this 1705 for about 5 days.
Conclusion: I have a broken truck and limited funds, what's my best option. I want a BTS obviously, but that's $$$ I need elsewhere. Can I rebuild this myself? Done it before, but old mopar and chevy stuff is different than this...I can't build it once, so I sure can't do it twice. pulling tranny is no worries, I wanna know if I can build one better than Jasper.
Thanks to everyone again,
Kyle

See less See more
#2 ·
That sounds pretty much the same as my truck. I believe it's a torque converter but I'm not positive. If you got a little bit of power to the wheels then I'm assuming nothing is physically broken an the torque converter let go. I'm assuming someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Also if it was the torque converter you still might be looking at a trans rebuild especially if it had high miles anyway. I'm Going to buy a rebuild kit from suncoast and a atsg manual and take it step by step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.