Transmission won't engage in drive but ok after 1st gear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission won't engage in drive but ok after 1st gear

2000 f250 7.3 4x4 with automatic
So I checked my transmission fluid (and learned how to read my dipstick!) and everything looks fine. However I have a problem. When I shift into drive (OD position) the transmission doesn't engage. When I shift down to 1st it pulls right out. Then I can immediately shift it up to the OD position and it works fine. In fact, after that it can stay in the OD position and everything is great. It's only after it's in park or reverse that it gives me a problem. And this is probably 75% of the time. I did check my 2- 30mm torx bolts on the shift shaft and they are tight.

I've searched and searched and have found a few people with this problem and it seems like the feed bolts loosening up was mentioned. However... I never see any confirmation of this. Everything else is great on the transmission and I really don't have the extra money to replace it if it's fine except this. The whole idea of removing the valve body is scary, especially when they talk about losing springs and balls. But I'm betting a transmission shop is more apt to just sell rebuilding and replacing than tightening.

Could anyone enlighten me? I'm hoping for an easier solution (and cheaper).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoct View Post
2000 f250 7.3 4x4 with automatic
So I checked my transmission fluid (and learned how to read my dipstick!) and everything looks fine. However I have a problem. When I shift into drive (OD position) the transmission doesn't engage. When I shift down to 1st it pulls right out. Then I can immediately shift it up to the OD position and it works fine. In fact, after that it can stay in the OD position and everything is great. It's only after it's in park or reverse that it gives me a problem. And this is probably 75% of the time. I did check my 2- 30mm torx bolts on the shift shaft and they are tight.

I've searched and searched and have found a few people with this problem and it seems like the feed bolts loosening up was mentioned. However... I never see any confirmation of this. Everything else is great on the transmission and I really don't have the extra money to replace it if it's fine except this. The whole idea of removing the valve body is scary, especially when they talk about losing springs and balls. But I'm betting a transmission shop is more apt to just sell rebuilding and replacing than tightening.

Could anyone enlighten me? I'm hoping for an easier solution (and cheaper).
Did you check the shifter cable clamp bolts on the steering column mine came loose and the truck would not go into drive unless I moved the shifter into 2nd gear position I tightened the clamp and everything is good now.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey, a reply! thanks. Yes, They were tight. I was really hopeful that would be my problem too, but nope. It works great once I drop it in first though and then immediately back up to drive.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If everything in the linkage is tight I would guess the shifter soleniod in the tranny is the problem.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So what did you do?
Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm living with it for now. I think it's probably the tranny going. It slips some too. I'll ride it till it dies and then replace.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What's your location?
What are you going to go with?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm in south Atlanta area. I haven't given it much consideration honestly. I had to replace a LOT of parts including injector cups and a couple of injectors just to have a dependable truck. Right now the transmission is doing ok. It doesn't engage all the time, but the only time it's really hairy is when I back out of my driveway and put it in OD and it doesn't move. But I always make sure I back out and clear the oncoming lane so if it doesn't happen to work, then people can go around me. Usually it engages right away, and when it doesn't... it's like 5 seconds to engage. But 5 seconds with oncoming traffic coming at you is a long time. Now I just anticipate it. When it goes, I'll be looking for the cheapest replacement.

I wish I had a ton of money to sink into it and go with a Garmon transmission (they are in my town), but with the economy the way it is and everything else, it just ain't gonna happen.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ME TOO!

My tranny just started doing this over the weekend. The tranny worked flawlessly when it was cold, but when it heated up to 150* it started acting up. Did you find a fix or take it to a shop?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm living with it still. It has it's good days and then it's bad days. The important thing is to not back out in front of people and then expect it to drive right off. No matter how good it's doing before you do that.... It will slip when you are in that situation. Or so it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.