Alrite the ol' e4od needs a bigger cooler. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 04:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alrite the ol' e4od needs a bigger cooler.

Yah my e4od has been weird ever since its started getting warm out back in march. I had a bad seal and a minor leak. This leak would get more intense when my tranny heated up to 160+. This kept happening intill one day my tranny was around 160-170 and it stopped working. I had reverse but no drive. I waited a little bit, and added a quart of fluid. The tranny worked fine. About 5 months later with the leak problem still the tranny did it again around 160+. This time I didn't add any fluid and just let it cool down and drove home. I fixed the seal and the leak and changed the filter. I measured the amount of fluid i removed with my deep pan and it was around 8 quarts... I refilled the it with 7.5. The truck ran fine intill today. I was driving around and it got up to 160+ and I felt it acting weird when I put it into drive... sluggish for a few seconds. Got home the tranny was at 180+ for kicks i put it in reverse, felt sluggish. Then drive... no forward gears . I knew what to do this time lol. I added 2 more quarts cause I figured i took 8 out and alot of it missed the pan anyway and I only put 7.5 back in. So put the 2 quarts in and a few minutes later. Bam worked fine.

I have heard of these trannys doing this but never moving forward after. I keep thinking that I have always been low on fluid and at high temps the fluid thins out to much to make it work properly. So I wanna add a new cooler. I have been reading about the tru-cool 4739. And at around $140 with bypass it dosent seem that bad.
BTW: my truck is a 1996 f-250 psd.

I wanna know if anyone else has some suggestions to coolers and whats the best buy. I've been reading people are never going over 125+ highway with larger coolers. Man I wish I could have that Or any insight to my strange e4od?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 AM

anyone have any input?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Your trans isn't running hot ..sounds like its getting ready to be puled. A bigger cooler isn't going to help. Once you do get it rebuilt then a new bigger cooler is a good idea and either use one from Permacool or a 6.0 cooler but don't use one with a bypass just plumb it in after the radiator.

You can also go to 3/8" hard lines to increse flow.

Cary
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Your trans isn't running hot ..sounds like its getting ready to be puled. A bigger cooler isn't going to help. Once you do get it rebuilt then a new bigger cooler is a good idea and either use one from Permacool or a 6.0 cooler but don't use one with a bypass just plumb it in after the radiator.

You can also go to 3/8" hard lines to increse flow.

Cary
What possibly could be my problem? It only happened when my tranny was leaking, and about 6 months later with same leak. I fixed the leak and added almost 2 less quarts of ATF then I took out and it happened again about 2 weeks later. Now I re-added 2 quarts of fluid and its fine. When I took the pan off the fix the leak everything inside was fine and clean. Fluid looks new, not burnt, the magnet had a little fix and sludge and thats about it.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:19 AM

Check your cooler lines and the cooler itself..maybe restricted? Your checking the dip stick when the fluid is hot..correct?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Check your cooler lines and the cooler itself..maybe restricted? Your checking the dip stick when the fluid is hot..correct?
That was my plan to change the cooler. Strange thing is that I checked out my buddies 96' 250 gasser he wrecked and his tranny lines were metal to the cooler and the cooler is twice as big as mine. And he claims its stock... Why does his truck have a much bigger cooler? Same year and a e4od. Or maybe I don't have a stock cooler in mine lol. What does the stock cooler look like? Any pics? I'd say the one in my psd is around 3"x10". And the one i took from his is like 12"x12".

And what do you mean checking the fluid via the dipstick? When it runs hot I always pull it. No foam, metal, rubber, or burnt smell. The fluid is a nice light translucent pink. (When hot). Thing is with the dipstick is that i don't think its to accurate. The fill level never really changes when I add fluid... Like after i dropped my pan a few weeks ago. I took out around 8-9quarts, and added 7.5 back. The level said it was fine. Then it gave me a problem... Let it cool down and was able to drive again. Added another 2 quarts and the fill level on the dipstick didn't change at all.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 PM

are you checking it with the truck running in park or neutral?? it has to be running to be properly checked. it sounds like u are checking it with the truck off...
Old 09-18-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewy8 View Post
are you checking it with the truck running in park or neutral?? it has to be running to be properly checked. it sounds like u are checking it with the truck off...
Either way I check it all the time, running, through all the gears, and even had a buddy hold the brake while i check park reverse neutral d 1 2. I always check it when its cold and its on the dipstick (cold) side and when it warms up its always the same no matter if i added fluid or not.

Like i said. My tranny had a bad pan seal and it leaked a lot when it got hot. The fluid level appeared normal. Then my tranny wouldn't go into forward gears when it got to 160* for the first time in a while. Check fluid when this happened and it appeared normal. I added 1 quart of fluid and let it cool down to 140* and drove it home normally. Then five months later with the same leaky pan and reaching temps 160-180 normally it did it again. Checked fluid seemed fine. Let cool down was able to drive it home.
(Every time i drove it during those 5months between my tranny problems. I reached temps up to 180* and didnt have a problem.)

So after the 2second time I decided to fix that leak. Fixed leak and I removed around 8+ quarts of tranny fluid (atleast 8 in my drainoil collector and who knows how much missed the pan when taking the bolts out (no drain plug). So i fixed the gasket and replaced the filter. I added 7.5 quarts of fluid back because thats what the pan is marked. Checked the dipstick and it said it was fine (running for about 10 mins after change) Drove it around and it was fine and I let the truck sit over night and checked it cold to make sure it was on the stick. So 2 weeks later the tranny got to 180 and decided to not go again. Added 2 quarts of fluid and its fine... And thats where I am now.

I don't know whether my problem is a bad tranny (It shifts fine, and when I took the pan off nothing smelt burnt and nothing in the pan. Just a little sludge and fuzz on the magnet) Or if I never had the proper ATF level, and it was to low and when it got hot it became to thin(?) and wouldn't function within the tranny properly.

So there's basically another sum up of whats happened. Sorry if I have any typos its kinda late and I'm tired. All i really wanna do is upgrade my cooler (still wana see a pic of a true 96 stock cooler) and try to kept my temps below 160* which seems to be bad luck.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM

Call and talk to John Wood or Brian at BTS they can answer the questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.