Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Drain Plug in converter?

966 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Soaggydogg 
#1 ·
I got my trans cooler bypass valve today and decided to get it in right away. It went smoothe straight forward. I drained all my fluid, blew out my lines. I started to turn the converter over by hand and could not find a drain plug on it. Do some models not have plugs? Could this be an after market? The inspection plate was removed by the previous own or it fell off. I noticed some RTV between the trans and transfer case suggesting they have been apart. I wish I new about the history on this truck. So anyway it says it holds around 17 qts. I put 3 one gallon jugs and checked it. It was over full. Hmmmm.. I had to drain out quite a bit. Could it be because I didn't drain the converter? I'm not much of auto trans guy.

#2 ·
I have a 2001 4x4 and mine had the drain plug in the converter.If I am not mistaken it held 17 counting the converter.

#3 ·
My original torque convrtor in my 99 had a drain plug and my remanned one from Ford did not have a drain plug so I would say its not the original ,just guessing.Did you make sure to run the tranny throug all the gears a couple times slowly and then check the level?If yes ,then I would say its cause you didn't drain the TC.The TC should hold 4-5 quarts.

#4 ·
Depending on the year they had or didn't have a plug in the OEM converter.

You can flush the converter by draining the pan, replace filter fill with 7-8qts. 2 people make this a lot easier. Pull rear trans line from trans or radiator and put a hose to drain into a gallon jug or bigger. Start truck, leave in park and let it pump the fluid until it starts to blow air, shut truck off. Refill with another 4-6qts and repeat.

If you start truck and run with lines on it will mix the fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.