little power in reverse poor acceleration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
little power in reverse poor acceleration

I'm new to powerstroke ownership and the board here.

I purchased a 2001 f350 4x4 last week. It seemed to run fine to me when I test drove it. I been running it around and quite please with me purchase.

I guess the new is wearing off and I starting to see the imperfections like when I pull out the truck is sluggesh and doesn't jump off the line. It almosts resembles if you manually had the trans in 2nd gear. The engines doesn't seem to want to make any power off the line.

The second problem I noticed was today when I parked the truck with the front tires off the lot. It was about a 2inch drop. When I put the truck in reverse the engine didn't make enough power to pull back up over the 2 inch drop. I pulled forward and got a little running start....about a foot to get it up and over. I was parked on hill earlier and wanted to back up and again no power in reverse....I had to put it in 4 low to back up.

I tried reverse on the flat to see how it was going fast in reverse and to see if the engine eventually made any power and it did.

The truck has a new garret turbo installed about 3000 miles ago, I know the guy I purchased it from said he was having some trouble with it and took it in to the garage and they said the waste gait wasn't properly adjusted.

I feel like the turbo should be kicking in at lower rpms?

Also is it normal with the truck in neutral when you try to rev the engine slowly it will surge?....it seems hard to feather the engine and build rpm slowly and consistently...almost like gaps in the gas pedal.

I'd appreciate any advice....I really like the truck it rides nice and for the most is very driveable the way it is but I want more power and would like to know if this is normal for stock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
check the boost psi... you may have a big leak and it isnt making boost
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where might this leak be? What is the easiest way to test the boost?

I was out this morning and I tried backing up a hill with grass on it. It was creaping up at about 1300 rpm, slowly building some momentum and at 1500 it kicked in started making power and broke the wheels loose.

Does this help....any thoughts? (pcm, speed sensor in the rear, egr??)

I was thinking of getting a programmer before but I think I have another issue to resolve before getting a programmer
Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Where are the RPMs at when you are doing this. It sounds alot like turbo lag to me
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru sliding View Post
Where might this leak be? What is the easiest way to test the boost?

I was out this morning and I tried backing up a hill with grass on it. It was creaping up at about 1300 rpm, slowly building some momentum and at 1500 it kicked in started making power and broke the wheels loose.

Does this help....any thoughts? (pcm, speed sensor in the rear, egr??)

I was thinking of getting a programmer before but I think I have another issue to resolve before getting a programmer

the 7.3 doesnt have a egr valve and it wouldnt have anything to do with vss.. I think Dave may be right sounds like lag the truck wont make noticable boost untill about 1400-1600 rpm..
Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I called the guy I purchased the truck from, he said he had it in the shop and they adjusted the wastegate and said a vaccuum line wasn't hooked up right, charged him like 800 dollars.

I was looking at it again wondering how the waste gate worked. I don't see the arm for the waste gate moving at all when reving the engine, I don't really feel any vaccuum at the line either.

As far as rpms, it hangs at about 1,000 at a load not moving starts to move the truck at about 12 or 13 hundred and the truck will break the tires loose and develope power at about 1500.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Sounds like turbo lag to me totally normal.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Sounds like turbo lag to me totally normal.

But he said it didn't make enough power to overcome a 2" curb in reverse. Even with no boost, he should have no problem backing over a 2" curb. Seems a little odd to me...
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I made an appointment at the dealer for Friday, I'd like to figure it out before then and save some money. I really don't trust dealers or garages. It's like asking the magician how the trick was performed.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytster View Post
But he said it didn't make enough power to overcome a 2" curb in reverse. Even with no boost, he should have no problem backing over a 2" curb. Seems a little odd to me...
At 1k RPM backing over a 2 inch curb may be difficult. 1000 rpm really is not much over idle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.