4R100 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100

My 99 7.3 super duty was born 5/98 and is a NBS with a 4r100 tranny with a 4*4 trans.
I'd like to view two specific problems here from other service write ups and you alls opinion.
1) Mericon ATF was recommend and Mercon V was discouraged by Ford.Well Mercon ATf was discontinued last summer.Now ford says Mercon V is good for all fords including light trucks.Mercon V is recomended for my Super Duty? Even though it was blended for another transmissions shifting problems. Im not comfortable with this and im looking for other options. What do you think? Does my local Ford dealer ship have my best interest for a Super Duty?
2) The DYI flush leaves the option to drain the converter to us.Isn't this the purpose for flushing?After a rebuild it should be a must,but why not every 30000 miles.We all have hear of the mods and rebuilds for these trannys.How about preventive mantenance. Flush or not to flush?
Conclusion:I want to flush my entire system and get some fluids ,under 5$/quart. I want a quality fluid to protect my 4R100.What do you think?

Last edited by greenie; 09-02-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I flushed my remanuf. tranny at 8,000 miles (including TC) and filled her with AMSOIL. Next flush can be in 100,000 miles! Plan to "build" it and will go thru it before.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Ford doesnt sell mercon any more but you can get it just about anywhere else. look for Dexron III/ Mercon, at any parts store. And if you cant find it at a parts store near you, Wal Mart has it. I really hate that place though
Old 09-02-2008, 03:27 PM

4R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Ford doesnt sell mercon any more but you can get it just about anywhere else. look for Dexron III/ Mercon, at any parts store. And if you cant find it at a parts store near you, Wal Mart has it. I really hate that place though
I've seen a lot of warnings about using a Dexron/Mercon mix,but after talking the folks at the dearlerships ,many of the blends didn't work anyway.The blends were supost to fix shifting problems
Im goning to check AMSOIL. Thank s
Ya, Wal Mart can be a bit much.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 PM

my 02 f450 ia ready for a new trans. i got 130k on it now and it's 2wd with 4:88 gears n it. the truck is a repo wrecker with a few mods. bully dog chip, cai, full 4 inch from turbo back, ccv tube, full gauges, trans cooler w puller fan, shift kit, boost line trick for map sensor, and i think thats it... i want a fully built trans that is up to the task of pullin heavy loads at a moments notice. i run around 150 degrees at 85 degree air temp outside. it goes to 170 on the highway. thats with the fan on.. i dont mind puttin the cash out for a trans but i need it to be able to handle whatever i throw at it... any suggestions?????
Old 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM

4R100

Quote:
Originally Posted by timezup4ucars View Post
my 02 f450 ia ready for a new trans. i got 130k on it now and it's 2wd with 4:88 gears n it. the truck is a repo wrecker with a few mods. bully dog chip, cai, full 4 inch from turbo back, ccv tube, full gauges, trans cooler w puller fan, shift kit, boost line trick for map sensor, and i think thats it... i want a fully built trans that is up to the task of pullin heavy loads at a moments notice. i run around 150 degrees at 85 degree air temp outside. it goes to 170 on the highway. thats with the fan on.. i dont mind puttin the cash out for a trans but i need it to be able to handle whatever i throw at it... any suggestions?????
The dealer was talking about the 5R100.It sounds like,now that the bugs are worked out,it will handle anything.Jeff,ford parts,says he has seen trucks with this tranny pulling stuff he thought only a semi could only handle.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 PM

dont know if ur kidding or not but i would imagine that it would b very exspensive from the dealer. and all your getting is a oem trans? im looking to go aftermarket..... bigger, better, stronger, and no shutter or slipping...
Old 09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The 5r110 wont work in your 7.3 truck that takes the 4r100
If you are looking for a well built 4r100 check out Brians Truck Shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.