'99 6 spd dying??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'99 6 spd dying???

recently my 6 speed has been giving me problems. first of all when i am at a complete stop, it is really tough to get into first gear of reverse, but no grinding. the next issue is that when i am at a complete stop and with the clutch to the floor, when i try to put it in first it slightly engages and wants to move without me actually putting it into gear. and it is almost as hard to shift up or down as it is to get into gear from stop, i really have to apply steady force for it to finally get in. what worries me is that all of this happens with no grinding, so i think it could be something really serious. any help would be greatly appreciated, it gets worse everyday so it won't be too long before its not drivable.

thanks,
travis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if u are having trouble goin into forward grab reverse then go to first or vise versa it will go right in after that
Old 08-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thats what i did this last week or so. but now i can't even do that. it is really hard to get into any gear at a stop, every now and then i can cycle through the gears at a stop, then slip into first or reverse, whichever i need. i asked someone today about it, and they said something about the slave cylinder, does that fit my problem? thanks for the advice.

travis
Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Emergency Services

Clutch

A friend of mine had those same symptoms and it turned out to be a cracked clutch release fork. Its a pretty common problem with the early 6 speeds. It cracks at the pivot point and bends. This causes the pressure plate to only partially disengauge and makes it hard as hell to get into gear. Once it goes into gear, it will try to move because the clutch isn't totally released.

Make sure your clutch fluid reservoir is full to rule it out. If it is, pull the slave cylinder and/or the inspection plate on the tranny and have a look at the clutch fork. My guess is it's bent or broken. If that's the case, a new fork should do the trick.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yep, reservoir is full. i'll take a peak in the inspection cover tomorrow, and let you know, hopefully its just a fork. thanks for the input.

travis

edit: if i do need a fork, does it matter where i get it from? would one from napa be enough?

Last edited by tbogh; 08-21-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbogh View Post
would one from napa be enough?
long as it has a lifetime warranty, don't matter where its from
Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

got 'er all fixed up today. went to ford and paid a steep $225 for a master/slave cylinder unit. it came pre bled so it was a piece of cake to install, now it shifts like new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.