Tranny overheat problem, Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny overheat problem, Help!

Hey guys I,m in the mountains in Colorado, and my transmission overheated during a 3,000 foot climb pulling my 9,000 lb travel trailer. The next day I got an overheat problem with just the truck. I checked the fluid and it was down two quarts. I topped it off and it seems to be ok now. My question is is that enough to cause the overheat or is there something else? I'm thinking a fluid and filter change before heading home, it can't hurt. I don't have to do the same pass on the way home, but there are some good sized ones. Also I'm running a superchips tow safe program, can this be causing my trouble? Any help would be great.

Thanks Stressed11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

I would think you would be okay with it in Tow Safe mode. It also depends on how hard you were pushing it. 2qts low was likely the issue, but why was it low?

If you're going to be towing a lot, you may want to consider a larger tranny cooler.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to somebodyelse5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCrutyPS View Post
I would think you would be okay with it in Tow Safe mode. It also depends on how hard you were pushing it. 2qts low was likely the issue, but why was it low?

If you're going to be towing a lot, you may want to consider a larger tranny cooler.
X2 for the bigger tranny cooler
Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
+ 1 more... the stock trans cooler is a joke... and our trans tend to overheat....

what temps were you at when your trans overheated?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The trans never got into the yellow, I pulled over and let it cool before that. Also the fluid still looks good, and does not smell burnt. I'll change it anyway when I get home. I'll also opt for the x-tra cooler, this will not be my last trip to the mountains.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
if your using your stock trans gauge to guess your trans temp dont... that thing is very inaccurate.... instead of spending money and changing the fluid spend it on a good set of gauges....
Old 09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok I'm back home. Here is the deal.... I was running a superchips program, the program was causing me to get CELs and a strange noise in the turbo when making the climb up the mountians. I suspected this so I ran stock coming home, and I had no CELs or transmission heat problems. Basically it ran like it did last year, trouble free. The program gave me better mileage when not towing, but nothing but problems while towing. I won't use the tow safe program in the mountains again.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
if your using your stock trans gauge to guess your trans temp dont... that thing is very inaccurate.... instead of spending money and changing the fluid spend it on a good set of gauges....
I have a 2000 F-350, 7.3,4wd, and I am having some overheating issues when towing upgrades and in traffic. I'm pulling a 12000 # toyhauler. My guages are the pillar mounted guages on the post between the drivers side window and the windshield. You said that they aren't accurate. Is there a replacement guage that woukd mount in the same hole? I have also been searching for a cooler with a fan. I've seen so many and so many different prices that I am confused. I had a cooler and fan installed on my previous truck, which was a 1996 F250, and it worked great. I dont seem to have as much room to mount one on this 2000 truck because the a/c condenser is spaced out further from the radiator. Do you have any recommendations or solutions? I thank you,Sisiryder
Old 09-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Interested to hear any solutions to the above posting--I know nothing, but just bought a 2002 F250 7.3L, and a friend was telling me how bad the tranny is. I plan on pulling a horse trailer, usually probably only 4000# or so, but would like to be able to carry 8000. Is it really that bad? He was saying it is the same transmission as ford puts in there passenger cars. What can be done, aside from buying a new heavy duty transmission? This truck has 81000 miles on it, so I am afraid that it may go soon (though it seems to run fine now). I don't want to get stranded!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to somebodyelse5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfagan View Post
Interested to hear any solutions to the above posting--I know nothing, but just bought a 2002 F250 7.3L, and a friend was telling me how bad the tranny is. I plan on pulling a horse trailer, usually probably only 4000# or so, but would like to be able to carry 8000. Is it really that bad? He was saying it is the same transmission as ford puts in there passenger cars. What can be done, aside from buying a new heavy duty transmission? This truck has 81000 miles on it, so I am afraid that it may go soon (though it seems to run fine now). I don't want to get stranded!
Thats the first time ive heard this, and am pretty sure its not true...

your buddy probably drives a dodge doesnt he?

It may not be GREAT but its not THAT bad....i can tow the boat fine. My Edge has messed with my tranny tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.