Drive line clunk and clutch issue-ZF6 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drive line clunk and clutch issue-ZF6

So I think I've got a couple issues on my '01. First issue is the clutch engagement on several situations.

1)Taking off from a stop, sometimes it is smooth and sometimes it bucks around so bad the front end jumps up and down. This can happen in 1st or 2nd gear take offs.

2)When shifting through the gears the clutch will sometimes just dump as I am letting off the pedal. The only thing I can think of is maybe the throw out bearing is getting hung up on the collar it rides on then lets go causing the clutch plate to slam into the flywheel. It is more prevalent on the 5-6 shift as that shift for me takes more time. If I am accelerating faster and shifting quicker in the 2-3-4-5 shifts it doesn't do it as long as I am perfect on the shifts, but if I slow shift it it will.

The Clunk. I've had 3 shops look at the drive line, one is a tranny shop that has worked on other vehicles for me and done a good job, I think they're a competent shop. All have said the u joints are in good shape. One said that Ford rear ends have slop in them which is more noticeable on a std trans vs an auto. Another said that they could check the lash? on the rear end and reset/shim but that could cause the rear end to whine once the "slop" is taken out.

If any one out there has had these issues and has been able to correct them I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like your clutch needs replaced. Make sure you take the flywheel off and take it to a shop to have it machined. Most likely it's warped which causes bucking.

Your clunk could be coming from the slip yoke on the driveshaft. Take it off and clean and grease it. While you have it off, grab ahold of the pinion yoke for your rear axle. Try to turn it back and forth. Proper backlash for gears are only a few thousandths of an inch, so you should barely be able to wiggle it. If you can rotate it back and forth a bit, then they will need to be shimmed. Gear whine is caused by gears with too little backlash. If your shop adjusts them properly, they won't whine. You may want to find a different shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.