Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Torque Converter replacement....

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RedDye01 
#1 ·
I read on here that the 99's have a common problem with the Torque converter. If I decide to keep my 99, I'd like to replace mine as preventative maintenance with the newer improved stock one.

- Where would I get one? ( Can someone provide a direct link? )
- How hard is the install? ( I've dropped many transmissions on vehicles ) Can it be done in the garage without anything to special for tools? I'm guessing the tranny is somewhat heavy, so a transmission jack would be suggested...

- Are there directions anywhere for tranny removal on these?

Thanks for your help. I like to cover all my bases, and make the truck last for a long time.

#2 ·
Personally I would not worry about the torque converter. When it goes just have the trans completely built up.

If you do replace the torque converter now, you still run the risk of the trans taking a crap. Especially since you will be running the truck harder with a solid torque converter.

You don't want nothing stock when your talking upgrades. For a torque converter you want a triple disc billet aluminium torque converter.

As for the removal and install of the trans. If you have a 4wd I suggest you split the t-case from the trans. Then drop the trans out. You will also what a good trans jack when you do this.

#3 ·
Personally I would not worry about the torque converter. When it goes just have the trans completely built up.
If you do replace the torque converter now, you still run the risk of the trans taking a crap. Especially since you will be running the truck harder with a solid torque converter.
I fail to see how replacing a stock converter, with another stock one would put the transmission at risk.

Not looking to upgrade the torque converter, or have the transmission completely built up. I have a car I plan on racing / modding. I won't have thousands to spare to build or mod this truck.

Truck is 2wd.

#5 ·
google it works real well to find stuff

#6 ·
I've searched on this forum and found aftermarket recommendations, and came close to finding a stock replacement, and have searched google.

Typically forums have a hookup with a specific dealership. ( I know we do on 3si, and get 30% off OEM mitsu parts )

I was hoping there was a similar setup over on here.

#7 ·
Theres an auto wrecker in Sacramento CA that specializes in superduty parts. I dont know the name of it but one of my buddies talks about it all the time... you might google it and see if they ship. I bet you could get one with low miles dirt cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.