4r100 to zf6 swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4r100 to zf6 swap

I have a 2wd f250 with a 7.3. it currently has a 4r100 that is going out and i want to swap to a zf6 or a comparable 6 speed. does anyone know where i can get a used zf6 cheap or what is another transmission that works well with the 7.3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your main choices for a manual are the older ZF5 or the ZF6. The ZF6 for a 7.3 isn't the easiest transmission to come by. The bell housing is part of the trans so you will need a 7.3 version. You also need to get the trans hump from the floor of the donor, drive shaft, pedals, master/slave and the spacer. I just wrapped up a ZF6 swap earlier today, the spacer ended up being the one piece I couldn't find. If you don't find the spacer, 10ga steel works.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll never understand why people swap in a POS manual...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

Because manuals are fun. They suck in stop and go traffic, but are otherwise great. There's also slight mileage gains to be had (though less so with current gen stuffs, but we're not current gen). I've noticed you speak up and post displeasure in these manual swap threads quite often. Why is that? Is it because you genuinely dislike manuals, or did you have one grenade on you at some point? I'm not trying to start a bickering contest, I'm just curious about your hate towards manual swaps.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
I've noticed you speak up and post displeasure in these manual swap threads quite often. Why is that? Is it because you genuinely dislike manuals, or did you have one grenade on you at some point? I'm not trying to start a bickering contest, I'm just curious about your hate towards manual swaps.
Posting about displeasure is most of what CSIPSD does. You should see what he posts about tuners after he runs more meth than the tune was designed for and blows up the engine or what he posts about pump builders that use split washers for shims.

Now back to the topic at hand...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
The junk yard or CL would be the best place. Try to get the whole truck if you can so you have all of the little things that can make or break the swap. If you're patient and can just kick back waiting to find a truck that's been wrecked, you can likely get the whole set up for relatively cheap. Sell off the parts you don't want and make some money back.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

I just did the swap a few months ago. Couldn't be happier, it's doable in 1 long day with all the right tools. I did it in about 16 hours over 2 days.

The zf6 is stronger than the auto in stock form, but you will be slower in the 1/4. I feel that it tows better but to each his own.

I searched to try and find broken zf6's and about all I came up with was a guy doing 4wd burnouts that twisted his input shaft, some idiot that ran gear oil and burned up the bearings, some high mileage ones ( mine has 500 000kms) with gear roll over noise fixed with the right fluid. My transmission has a weird issue... the 1st gear syncro is burnt out, must have been jammed down into first a lot, still drives good and you just have to be careful.

Last edited by schlutzer; 10-11-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:21 AM

if it was brought to the table, i'd swap my zf for an auto. After 4ys of run'n her, i'm sick of it, probably because im always in the damn 91 parking lot, i mean freeway.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
Because manuals are fun. They suck in stop and go traffic, but are otherwise great. There's also slight mileage gains to be had (though less so with current gen stuffs, but we're not current gen). I've noticed you speak up and post displeasure in these manual swap threads quite often. Why is that? Is it because you genuinely dislike manuals, or did you have one grenade on you at some point? I'm not trying to start a bickering contest, I'm just curious about your hate towards manual swaps.
Because the auto does EVERYTHING the manual does, it just does it better.

It tows better, it daily drives better, it races better if your into that.

You can have a full manual with the Auto if you want, it will be stronger then the manual as well.

Its been proven time and time again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Posting about displeasure is most of what CSIPSD does. You should see what he posts about tuners after he runs more meth than the tune was designed for and blows up the engine or what he posts about pump builders that use split washers for shims.

Oh good lord...

I'll not even comment further, because kissing asses is what you do best. I post accurate truthful information, no matter the hateraid that comes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
I just did the swap a few months ago. Couldn't be happier, it's doable in 1 long day with all the right tools. I did it in about 16 hours over 2 days.

The zf6 is stronger than the auto in stock form, but you will be slower in the 1/4. I feel that it tows better but to each his own.

I searched to try and find broken zf6's and about all I came up with was a guy doing 4wd burnouts that twisted his input shaft, some idiot that ran gear oil and burned up the bearings, some high mileage ones ( mine has 500 000kms) with gear roll over noise fixed with the right fluid. My transmission has a weird issue... the 1st gear syncro is burnt out, must have been jammed down into first a lot, still drives good and you just have to be careful.
If you tow heavy the manual will spit its guts out, time and time again. It will eat clutches, it will destroy the crap hydraulic clutch set up, they burn up all the time... At stockish hp levels, there ok, but so is the auto. But anything above a constant 300hp, they are 100% junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
if it was brought to the table, i'd swap my zf for an auto. After 4ys of run'n her, i'm sick of it, probably because im always in the damn 91 parking lot, i mean freeway.
I can hook to a 12,000# trailer, get on the interstate (assuming its clear...lol) and set the cruise to 72. I can drive that way without touching a thing, up hill, down hill, passing or what ever... Without having to dick with anything.

I've had this particular auto in for 150k... I've done nothing but change the fluid twice.

You would have gone thru at least one, if not two clutches in that time. More then likely burnt a few sincro's, had to mess with the clutch assembly several times...

Look the stock autos suck, I get that...

Throw a well built, well tuned 4r100 in there and you will never look back.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

The best advice is to ignore everything posted by CSIPSD. Much of his "truthful information" has been discredited many times across multiple forums, many of which is is banned on. Now there is some truth in there, a auto is faster but you should do what makes you happy. If you prefer to be in total control and switch your own gears, swap in a manual transmission. Many people have done the swap and are quite happy with it. If you prefer a automatic then by all means keep that trans. There is nothing wrong with either and they both have strengths and weaknesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
4r100, transmission, zf6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.