ATS transmission went BOOM... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ATS transmission went BOOM...

Leaving work today in my 02 F350, pulled out in traffic and stepped on the throttle....boom, no more power to the rear wheels. It goes into Park, but any gear I select; reverse, drive, 1st, 2nd....I get nothing. Give it a bit of gas and the RPM's just shoot up, but no engagement in the trans. Tried shifting it into 4wd to see if it was the chain in the transfer case, but it wont engage because the transmission isn't turning.

So, Im guessing I broke something in the transmission, not sure exactly what though. Its an ATS transmission that had all the billet upgrade parts you can throw at it, the previous owner put it in just before I bought it. Its got about 120,000 miles on the transmission.

Had it towed to a local transmission shop where my buddy knows the owner, so hopefully they'll go easy on me. Im the type of guy that does all work on my vehicles, I just don't have the time to pull the trans on this truck.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
120k out of a purple grenade is pretty good. When these transmissions go out you have to pull the entire assembly apart to check for damage. If your OD light wasn't flashing then it's probably the input or TC, if it was flashing then there was a code that might have given you a clue as to what the issue was.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Same exact thing happened to me last week...sounds like the torque converter broke!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by over200 View Post
Same exact thing happened to me last week...sounds like the torque converter broke!
Wouldn't the truck still move though? It just wouldn't be smooth power to the wheels right?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
120k out of a purple grenade is pretty good. When these transmissions go out you have to pull the entire assembly apart to check for damage. If your OD light wasn't flashing then it's probably the input or TC, if it was flashing then there was a code that might have given you a clue as to what the issue was.
Got the trans shop pulling the trans tonight to check it out. Hopefully its minimal damage. Don't think its the TC because it wouldn't shift into 4wd because the transmission wasn't turning.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavis View Post
Wouldn't the truck still move though? It just wouldn't be smooth power to the wheels right?
No it wouldn't move in any gear position including 4x4 other than rolling freely in neutral ...and it all happened the same exact way as yours. They just finished $3,582.00 otd
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque converters can fail in a few ways but if there was no fluid coming out of the inspection plate and you can't hear metal grinding together from the same area, then it's probably not the TC.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 AM

no fluid, no grinding. leaning towards input shaft but we'll find out tonight I guess.

any recommendations out there for a new input shaft? not sure I want to put another ats in it.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
120k is good for an ATS trans! Hopefully you can get them to warranty their work like they claim everywhere you read about them... Probably not though
Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 AM

FYI I had no fluid coming out either it just broke where it engages at shaft... Curious to see if it was the same on yours ... On another note I did get 280,xxx out of that one which was #2 Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.