Trans won't shift into first at stoplight - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans won't shift into first at stoplight

Trans on my 2000 F250 with auto trans was working fine until this weekend. I drove about 60 miles in the hills to go camping. Didn't push the truck or trans hard on the drive up or the drive back. When I got back into town, I stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, I gave it gas and nothing happened for a second. The engine revved, then the truck finally lurched forward. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was in 2d gear. At the next stop light, I downshifted into first manually, and the truck ran fine.

Now, it seems to downshift to 1st sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. I checked trans fluid and it is just barely low. Trans fluid is red and smells normal. I think I changed the fluid about 2 years and 10k miles ago. I don't drive the truck other then to haul my camper or trailer, so it doesn't get alot of use. Truck has about 170k miles on it, I've had it since about 150k. I don't believe the prior owner had any trans work done.

Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

My truck was having similar issues, never took off in 2nd but would down shift and let it be known, and I lost the Intermidiate drum in the transmission yesterday. Not sure if that would be the issue you are having or not but, I have 178 on mine and it just did this, same thing happened on a buddy's truck in the mountains in ruidoso wasn't going very hard on it and the transmission just gave out.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:59 PM

I towed my truck to a local trans shop after it stopped running altogether. $3500 and a full rebuild later, I've got my truck back today. The shop says the internal center support gear went bad and I think they said was throwing chunks of metal into the fluid, causing other damage.

They had to replace the center support gear, which is not a normal part included in a rebuild kit. They assume the truck overheated in the past and spit out lots of fluid, causing the center support gear to go metal on metal and start deteriorating. This is as best as I can recall from my conversation with the shop today. I don't know much about trans (obviously) so don't know how accurate this is. This is a shop with a good reputation in a small town for 30 years, so I chose to trust them.

I'm moving my 30' 5th wheel this weekend, so hoping they put everything together well. Put 100 miles on it today and it's running and shifting well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.