Tc or trans - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tc or trans

How do i know if my problem is in tc or trans? Its slips, worse when tc is unlocked than locked but it still slips. And i think it confuses the trans as the shifts are hesitant and confused. I know i am close to the tc's hp limit given the millage - 157k- on the higher tunes. Cant afford a rebuild as i am moving to tn and was thinking about putting a decent tc in it to buy me time. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Seems like the tranny to me, but there are more experienced people on here than I. Here is a bump to the top anyway.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Emergency Services

I would go with a OE tranny. with converter and strap a BTS vale body,.. im not shure on price but it's a little more then a Nice converter, but you get a Fresh Tranny and converter plus WARRANTY

And I would really wouldn't suggest strapped a NEW converter to a old Tanny
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Rebel

A trans always slips more when a converter isn't locked when your in the RPM and applying power it slips worse. Need and tans rebuild but in a slipping trans case you don't even want to put that converter back in it. Some say you can flush it but I don't i would buy a new one. Why take the chance a ruin a new trans or rebuilt trans.. Hope that helps..
Old 06-19-2008, 01:56 PM

I understand i don't want to use an old converter in a new trans. But i was thinking that the converter was the problem since it really is the weak link in a stock trans, that it might be the problem and i could buy myself some time by putting the new converter in the old trans. and maybe a sonex shift kit to try and firm up the factory shift pionts until i can afford a performance trans with the transgo tugger kit
Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM

The TC could be the problem. BUT, you are putting some power thru the whole unit. If you just start piecing things together it will end up costing you more.

AND I would stay away from an OE trans! If you are pumping power thru it you will only be rebuilding it in another few years.

If your stock an OE trans is OK. But not recomended for what you have running.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

At 130K when I bought my truck the tranny started acting up and overheating and slipping and shifting funny. I took the TC out and had a local shop rebuild it ($100). Later I added the Transgo Tugger shift kit ($100) and a Trucool 40k cooler ($120) to help with towing temps and shifting. I got another 3 years and 60k out of it before it fried pulling my camper. I made it home but the temps got over 320* for more than 40 miles and she still made it home. I replaced the tranny and TC with a new Ford factory tranny from my local Ford dealer with 3 year 75k warranty($2035), at 20K I installed the BTS valve body ($250) and changed the fluid. The BTS is the best thing I have ever done to my truck, it shifts great no matter what program I’m running, no more banging gears, slipping, or jerking problems like I have had ever since I got the truck and through all mods and both trannys.

SO original tranny abused and not serviced to 130k I spent around $400 and got 198,000 hard miles on it.
New Ford tranny I spent around $2,300 on and should get way better than 200K on going from experience with first tranny.

Diesel fuel to reach 200k…..15mpg/200,000 = 13,333 * $5 = $$$66,666……I hope I make it that far!

Maybe in the future I’ll wish I spent $4,000 on a good tranny but for now I’m happy.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 PM

What alabamfrog did is exactly what i am looking to do. I just want to know how to tell if its the tc. I plan on a built trans with a year at the most! Will a good trans shop know if its the tc fur sure
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
I would say they would be able to give you a better idea. but i am the wrong guy to ask, my luck is so bad for trans, that im affriad if i talk about yours, it will break.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by siloped View Post
I understand i don't want to use an old converter in a new trans. But i was thinking that the converter was the problem since it really is the weak link in a stock trans, that it might be the problem and i could buy myself some time by putting the new converter in the old trans. and maybe a sonex shift kit to try and firm up the factory shift pionts until i can afford a performance trans with the transgo tugger kit
Yes it could be the converter BUT. If the converter is slipping that means you have particles and clutch shavings going threw your trans as well. So my advise would be to take it to a trans shop. They should be able to tell you what to to for a temporary fix if possible until you can afford a good trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.