Tranny Temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny Temp

I have a 2001 F-350 with the 7.3 and the automatic transmission and I'm at 113k miles now. I just had my third transmission installed recently, and this time went with Ford's HD rebuild and spent the extra for the a much better torque converter. I hope this one lasts longer. My question is about the tranny fluid temperatures. While towing my 5th wheel, on the highway the temp averages from about 175 to 190 degrees. Recently, while towing up a long, long grade, it got all the up to 267 and that was going about 25 in second gear, trying to be as gentle as possible. I pulled over and let things cool down before getting to the top. It didn't take too long when putting it in park and bringing the rpm up to 1500, and actually the engine oil temp came down from 250 to about 200 fairly quickly too. It was scary for me to see the trans temp that high. How high is too high? The fluid didn't smell burnt. I have some plans for the exhaust system in the future but don't know if there's anything else I can do to help with the tranny temp. Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Located Information

This has probably been brought up many times but I didn't go back but a couple of pages. If anyone has similar questions, here's what I found:

Automatic Transmissions

OIL TEMPERATURE MEASURED AT CONVERTER OUTLET TO COOLER:

300 F=
The maximum allowable temperature. This is the recommended place to install a temperature gauge or sensor. Do not allow the converter outlet temperature to exceed 300 F. The temperature at this location will vary significantly because of load, hill climbing, etceteras. If the temperature reaches 300 F, reduce throttle. To lower transmission temperature with transmission in neutral, run the engine at 1,200 RPM for at least 2 - 3 minutes while keeping a close check for signs of engine overheating. A transmission in a heavy throttle, stall condition (a typical situation is rocking a vehicle stuck in mud, sand, or snow), may increase temperature at a rate of 1 degree per second of stall.

OIL TEMPERATURE MEASURED AT OIL PAN OR SUMP:

150 F=
The minimum operating temperature. Note: It is possible in low ambient temperatures to overcool the transmission with auxiliary oil to air coolers. Oil to water coolers in standard factory radiators will normally not overcool a transmission.

175-200 F=
Normal pan oil temperature operating range.

275 F=
Maximum allowable oil pan temperature for short durations during long hill climbs.

300 F=
Damage occurs to internal transmission parts, including warpage of metal parts, degradation of clutches, and melting of seals. Transmission oil oxidizes, (forming varnish-like substances causing further clutch slippage and compounding heat build up) and transmission oil life is extremely short.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LIFE / TEMPERATURE RELATIONSHIP:

Automatic transmission oil can provide up to 100,000 miles of service before oxidation requires replacement, at an operating temperature of 175 F. Above this temperature, the oil oxidation rate doubles with each 20 degrees F increase in oil temperature. See chart.

DEGREES F
MILES
DEGREES F
MILES

Note: Transmission oil and filter should always be changed more frequently when driving with heavy loads (RVs), typically at least every 25,000 mile intervals, since converter outlet temperatures then normally far exceed the ideal 175 F.
[/I][/I]
Old 08-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well over 250, the oil is cooked and needs changed. and hoping the trans is not done.

if you pull that much and on your third trans, i would highly suggest a new trans cooler. the 6.0 trans cooler would be a nice oem fit upgrade. then you have the others on the market but i had the 6.0 cooler myself and worked fine. didnt see over 180 on a hot day.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not sure how ppl with the 6.0 cooler never see over 180*, ect. I installed a brand new one on my brand new tranny and can easily see 210 pulling the grades here in so cal and thats empty no load. Ppl that never see these temps must be flat landers lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
well im in texas lol. no "real" hills here. just heat.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Haha true sorry wasn't trying to take a jan at you. It just always blew my mind that I can still reach those temps grant it cools 10x faster. I just learned to deal with it and pull over at 220*

Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM

you have OTW or OTA cooler? If OTW, remove the radiator and have it cleaned. Install new ELC coolant. Hows the coolant temp?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefel86 View Post
Haha true sorry wasn't trying to take a jan at you. It just always blew my mind that I can still reach those temps grant it cools 10x faster. I just learned to deal with it and pull over at 220*

Your fine at 220*... Wasting your time pulling over.

230-235* and I would pull over if I was pulling.

I've driven all over Cali and never seen tranny temps over 210*... If your hitting more then that regularly then something is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
you have OTW or OTA cooler? If OTW, remove the radiator and have it cleaned. Install new ELC coolant. Hows the coolant temp?
No need to spend the money on special hard to find coolant, it will not cool any better...

That being said, if your still running the OTW cooler I would install a larger ATO cooler and bypass it.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have a 6.0 cooler and new oem bypass and driving empty, interstate speed on i40(75-80 with some hills), i still hit 190. What gives? It does not go thru radiator. I am scared to hook up a trailer.

Last edited by gomer pyle; 09-02-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 PM

is your torque converter locked at 40 miles an hour? 190 is warm but not super hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.