How difficult to pull and auto tranny? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How difficult to pull and auto tranny?

I have 2000 4x4 with 168k that among other problems recently decided to begin leaking tranny fluid from somewhere in by the converter. I pulled the cover off the converter/flexplate area to make sure it was not the drain plug that I had out the other day while flushing the system. Seem that It is something further back which I figure mean pulling my tranny out to replace a seal or something of the like.

So I'm wondering how difficult and time consuming will it be for me to pull the tranny to stop this leak? I do plenty of car work on FWD cars and have done a manual tranny on an 87 F-150 before, but I basically want to be sure this is something I am ready for, and can do soon cause the leaking is making a mess of the underside of my truck, driveway, and anything I am towing.

Also while the tranny is out is there anything I should do to it that will help to keep it running good for a while longer? I was thinking about either a BTS valve body or at the very least doing a Transgo shiftkit, but $$$'s are tight right now. Course in a perfect world I'd love to put in a better Torque Converter while I have the tranny out but I think for right now I'll have to put the stock one back in.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM

front seal in the tranny.you can pull that tranny in about 3hours,and put the new seal in in about 10 min.so about a full day in a garage with a hand or two.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Not hard. with proper tools very little time. BUT you better have a pretty stout tranny jack. This tranny is not light!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:57 PM

thats no kidding
Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM

I have a harbor freight scissor style one that I use for Taurus SHO trannys both ATX and MTX. THe ATX trannys are about 300lbs and the MTX's are about 100lbs. How much weight are we talking on my truck's tranny?

I can always justify the expense of a new tool or jack for the shop when doing a job. I wish my forklift had longer forks cause they would do a nice job of holding and dropping the tranny I would assume.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I have a harbor freight scissor style one that I use for Taurus SHO trannys both ATX and MTX. THe ATX trannys are about 300lbs and the MTX's are about 100lbs. How much weight are we talking on my truck's tranny?

I can always justify the expense of a new tool or jack for the shop when doing a job. I wish my forklift had longer forks cause they would do a nice job of holding and dropping the tranny I would assume.
You don't want to use that sissor jack. Trust me on this, the trans will break the jack which may cause injury to you.

I have the harbor frieght trans jack that is hydraulic and rated for around 2,000 pounds. I have used it to drop many transmissions. I think it cost me around 200 dollars and has been a great investment for me.

It took me and a buddy 1.5 hours to drop my trans out of my 2002 F-250 with the t-case attached to it.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 AM

I would for sure put a new converter in while its out. Most local trans shops can get you a billet multi clutch converter for around $600 to $800. If you can't afford that, then a rebuilt one from Ford about $400 to $500. It will have a new front cover but it's not billett.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:43 AM

I was considering a new converter while I was in there. I'm quickly scrapping a few parts cars that I have so that I can try and generate the cash to buy a decent TC to swap in there while this is out. To bad I took my 20 cat converters in for scrap a month ago, that $1500 would have been useful now.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I pulled mine yesterday evening in about 2 hours. The hardest part was not being able to re-install it( I didn't have a transmission to transfer case gasket, and I am going to replace the front seal while it's out aswell). But it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. And all I had to get it out was a floor jack. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.