Screwy tranny problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Screwy tranny problem

Hello fellow pwerstrokers
I got a 2000 F250 with the 7.3 in it with 175000 miles on it. Today I was pulling my rev camper home from camping and I pulled up like normal backed it in its spot and needed to pull up and it would not move in drive and second gear only first gear and reverse it would move great. I unhooked the rv and parked it checked the tranny fluid noticed it was a little low put some in it still the problem was there. I put the shifter in drive and pushed the overdrive button to see if there was any codes. The truck started to buck back in forth like it was wanting to go. There was no codes also.
Any ideas would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 AM

I have been researching this exact same problem for weeks. I have spoken with diesel shops, tranny shops, and the local dealer. The dealership had my truck for a week and then told me to come get it because they gave up. No codes, no clue. They said that they had even been on their "hotline" and still didn't know.

Here is a link to my thread. Tranny Issue

Hopefully, this weekend, I am going to check for loose feeder bolts (as suggested in my thread) and maybe change out the neutral safety switch. These seem to be the easiest things to check.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did anyone run a line pressure check on the trans when it is acting up? There are ways to diagnose if you take the thing to a reputable trans shop.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm going to put my 250 in the shop this weekend. They are going to give me a free diagnostic, if the tranny needs to be rebuild it will cost $2400 to $3200 with a warranty of 3 years unlimited miles.I will let y'all know what they find.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM

@Turbostang500 - I have asked for a list of tests that the dealership ran. Maybe it will keep down on duplication of efforts.

@bktimby - I would love to hear what your shop finds. My dealership said the only thing they knew to do was replace the entire tranny, but there was no guarantee that would fix my problem. Obviously, not acceptable to me without knowing what went wrong.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM

bktimby - Was your tranny shop able to diagnose your the problems you were having?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry Wildred I haven't been able to mess with it I got called out of town to work for the next couple of months. As soon as I get back that's the first thing I'm doing.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:30 AM

No worries. I just thought I would check back.
Have safe travels.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.