ZF6 Help! Pushrod and pedal has me stranded - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ZF6 Help! Pushrod and pedal has me stranded

I was on my way to the lake and my clutch pedal starting going down to the floor as I was shifting gears. I had to reach down and pull it up to get it off the floor. I did this twice as I was looking for a place to pull over when I heard a pop and the clutch stopped working. Looked under the dash and the clutch safety switch was dangling with the pushrod on the floor.

Here's some pictures to make it easier

I did a lot of searching and it seems a plastic clip broke on the pushrod connecting it to the pedal assembly. The part number I found is 6C3Z-7A581-A. Is this correct?

The pushrod also came out of the firewall, I'm guessing the master cylinder? Is this repairable or will I have to buy a new assembly? There's no leaking fluid and I wasn't experiencing other issues before this happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM

yup, hit up ur local napa, and (here anyway), they removed that birdcage clip and handed it to me or find ur local ford dealer and buy one. Get 2, for a spare..( i keep mine in the "power supply" hole..lol. Crazy though, the "fingers" ttdidnt keep the rod in place. If you need to replace unit, get yourself the pre-bled system.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
yup, hit up ur local napa, and (here anyway), they removed that birdcage clip and handed it to me or find ur local ford dealer and buy one. Get 2, for a spare..( i keep mine in the "power supply" hole..lol. Crazy though, the "fingers" ttdidnt keep the rod in place. If you need to replace unit, get yourself the pre-bled system.
The birdcage clip you're referring to... is that what connects the pushrod to the pedal? If so, what did NAPA remove it from before they handed it to you?

What "fingers" are you talking about and isn't there something that should be connecting the pushrod to inside the master cylinder?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 PM

yes, theres inward tabs..(fingers) that grasp the rod to hold it into the master cylinder. Weird how the rod fell out of the master cylinder since those tabs are bent inward...

yes, the "birdcage" clip is what holds the m/c rod to the protruding rod, off the clutch pedal. They had to remove it from a master cylinder unit, because i dont think its an item they stock.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
yes, theres inward tabs..(fingers) that grasp the rod to hold it into the master cylinder. Weird how the rod fell out of the master cylinder since those tabs are bent inward...

yes, the "birdcage" clip is what holds the m/c rod to the protruding rod, off the clutch pedal. They had to remove it from a master cylinder unit, because i dont think its an item they stock.

Well I used some bailin wire to connect the rod to the pedal and the clutch goes all the way to the floor with no return. It won't even let me get into gear so I'm guessing the cylinder is bad. I ordered a couple "birdcage" clips and a new master/slave assembly. I figure this will fix it for sure
Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 PM

ya bud, seems that, with the extended movement of the plunger, in the master cylinder, it now has air in the system. Better off installing a pre-bled from Napa, o'reillys..etc, and be dome with it. Takes about 10min to install...super easy.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
ya bud, seems that, with the extended movement of the plunger, in the master cylinder, it now has air in the system. Better off installing a pre-bled from Napa, o'reillys..etc, and be dome with it. Takes about 10min to install...super easy.

Thanks for the help, I ordered everything from Tousley Ford
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM

cool...for future reference, the m/s assy your getting from Tousley, is the same from the auto stores...I did find a bit#@en assy from Advance Auto...ALL ALUMINUM and for the same price...130 buks. I'm on my 3rd assy, 170k. Got the aluminum one sitting on the workbench. I figure every 50k for me anyway, its getting a new one. Stupid plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.