Transmission Issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Issues?

Ok guys, I need some advice here. This is all about my brother's 2002 F-350 7.3L 4x4 with about 150,000.

His truck has been running good with no major issues since he bought it about 6 months ago. So he hooked up an unloaded 16 foot dump trailer (light load) to deliver it about 200 miles away. About 20 miles into the trip his tranny temp gauge (dummy) started to rise to about 3/4. Then he said that the shifts started going weird and the overdrive light started flashing. He pulled over and checked the tranny fluid, etc...He then started the truck again and tried to put it into reverse, but the truck wouldn't move. He limped his way to the closest town at no more than 40mph (limp mode) and is now sitting at a mechanic there.

He is hoping the tranny doesn't need replaced because he just dropped $2k+ on a new set of tires for his truck and does not have any money right now.

Has this ever happened to any of you? I've looked around the internet and found a few things, but nothing definite yet.

Also, the truck is at a mechanic in Madisonville, TX. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic around that area that does good, honest work? Thanks for any help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Find out what the code was, and he probably overheated it and hopefully didn't burn things up.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM

That's what he's hoping. The shop he dropped it off at was closed until Mon, so he is going to have them run the codes then. We will be keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Ok, just a hypothetical question now:

If it was the transmission, do we have to find another 4R100 from a 7.3L 4x4 truck or can we just get any 4R100 to replace it with?

I'm just trying to find lower cost options for him right now in case the transmission is done.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM

This happened to my obs 7.3. It would leak tranny fluid and I didn't stay on top of keeping the fluid topped off. I was drivin it one day and it started shifting real hard and the engine had to rev up really high before it would shift. Found out that my fluid was bad and my tranny pan gasket was junk. So I replaced the gasket, oil and filter and runs and shifts great now.

Hop this helps some.

Jordan
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM

Ok guys, we got the code the transmission is throwing. It is P0782. The transmission shop is telling my brother this code is a 2-3 shift error and that the tranny needs to be rebuilt. They gave him a crazy quote of like $2600 for the rebuild. He called around to a few other shops and the best rebuild price he could find is $1900 with HD parts supposedly.

I am not 100% sure that he actually needs a complete rebuild, but then again I am not a transmission expert. If someone knows what this P0782 code actually is, please chime in.

I have heard that Ford sells replacement transmissions to include an HD version. Does anyone know the reliability on these and what sort of price range they are? I know a lot of people recommend a BTS replacement, but at close to $5k without the labor, it's just not going to happen.

Anyways, thanks for any input anyone can offer up on this!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 AM

Just swap ur tranny with a manual!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-09-2013, 03:12 PM

HAHA! I don't think my brother would go for that. He's too lazy to shift gears!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What was the final verdic?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
What was the final verdic?
According to the shop he needed a new transmission. I'm not 100% sure if that was true or not but he can't be without his truck so he got the new transmission. Ended up costing him $2200 for a rebuilt tranny with "heavy duty" parts. We will see how long this one lasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.