Trans blew, what now? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans blew, what now?

So I started my truck this morning let her idle for about 5-10 as normal and pulled out of my driveway. Everything was fine till I got to the top of my street.

I pulled onto the main road and thought it was ice covered because it felt like my rear wheels were spinning. RPM's went up but no power to the ground. It was freezing this morning and the roads looked wet so I though I hit a spot of ice. Continued down the road a while and realized I had a problem. Truck wouldn't put power down and I knew the trans was slipping. my speed was around 30mph but rpms were up around 2,000. truck was putting power to the ground but only slightly and my speed was rapidly decreasing.

I was able to get off the road. Thought maybe I some how got between drive and neutral so I jockeyed the shift level into park and down to 1. In 1 the truck would drive normal and when bumped to 2 the trans acted fine then I put her in D and nothing again just continued to slip.

Here is where I am a little confused when i pushed the O/D off button the truck trans would act normal and I could drive it up to speed through all the gears. I would wait till I got up to about 50 mph and turn the O/D off button again. The truck would then shift to 4th and continue on down the road at cruse speed without issues. I had to be at work so I drove it attempting to get to my destination.

I did this for a while and then the trans went. I had nothing in any of the gears. It would hold in park but no reverse or anything else. No high temps in the trans and not leaking any fluid.

Had her towed to a local shop they said they would take a look and let me know what they find.

I have a feeling it wont be good, perhaps I should of parked it and left it as soon as it started having issues.

So the question is what the heck happened any ideas? Did my torque converter go or something worse?

Also what should I do now if it is bad?
Rebuild, BTS or something else.

My plans for the truck are putting a TS chip on with moderate costume tunes. No big power "turbo" or "injectors" and not towing anything right now maybe a camper later.

Any ideas or feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well if your keeping the truck a BTS will be the last trans you will buy..Pm me we have the best droped shiped price if you deside.

Cary
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Cary I will keep you in mind.

Haven't heard yet from the shop as to what the issue is. If I do need a whole trans I think I am going with a local shop that will build the trans beyond factory specs for relatively cheap with quality parts. Just can't justify getting such a heavy duty trans (BTS) when I will have no big power adders and am not towing anything of significant weight. I will keep you in mind if anything changes.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It sounds like an electrical problem. Hopefully it's just a solenoid pack.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

---Update---

-Update-

So the shop I originally had it towed to was lame!!, they will remain nameless.

When the trans blew and left me stranded on the side of the road I had them tow it to their shop because they had done a little work on it before and I knew they worked on diesel trucks and they were close by. They told me they would take a look at it and call me. A week later I called them after hearing nothing and they told me "Yeah it wont move in any gear". No SH*T that's why I had it towed to your shop. Not my word for word response but I asked them to let me know about it because I needed it repaired. He said he would drop the pan and see how much metal was loose in the trans. Again after not hearing anything for two days I came to the conclusion that they were not interesting in working on it. I wish they had told me that from the start.

At this point I began researching other options. I came across Anthony's Automatics Transmissions LLC in Conowingo, MD. Called em up and talked to Anthony. He went over what I was going to be doing with the truck and any power adders I was thinking about installing in the future and any large loads I might be towing. He came to the conclusion I would be fine with what he called a stage I rebuild. Told me he would build the trans with new TC, valve body and beef it up so that I wouldn't have future problems. Told me he would build it for $2,800 everything included with a warranty.

I looked around on the net and found a bunch of post on the Dodge forums about his shop and all were good reviews so I made my mind up.

So I had to get the truck to his shop from the the lame shop which is about 50 miles. I gave the first shop a call and again they did not seem interested in towing it for me since the bill would have been over $400. As an act of desperation I called Anthony told him about the situation and he agreed to tow it on a trailer for $280 to his shop and start working on it.

A few days later he called me explaining that my oil pan was pretty well rusted out and I would start seeing problems with it leaking in the future. I knew this was the case because I had noted the same when changing my oil last. He said now is the time to replace it because he already had the trans dropped which is required to replace the oil pan. For those that don't know in order to change the oil pan out you have to drop the tans take the turbo off the motor and jack it up and forward because there is a cross member under the oil pan. Anyways it is a labor intensive project and most of the cost of the job is labor. If you call around to your local dealer you will get a price quote around $2500 for this job. I was surprised when he said he could do it for $900. I told him to take care of it.

A week later I got the call from him telling me it was done. He went over all the things he changed and went through in the trans and to be honest it was to much to remember. I do remember him telling me that he milled out part of the trans housing and used a different type of snap ring to hold together some of the internals which is a common failure point. I believe he said he also added an extra clutch plate to the trans. One thing was clear this dude knows his transmissions.

He told me to jump in the truck and take it for a spin with him. He seemed more excited then me while he was telling me he thinks I am really going to like it. So we went for a ride and WOW, the trans shifts much firmer then before it throws you into 3rd and 4th gear. I believe this is from the valve body work and the increased line pressure. What a difference!

I have driven about 500 miles on it so far and hauled some loads to the dump I am very happy with with his work and would strongly recommend him to anyone in the area that needs trans work.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Glad to hear that. How's that trans holding up? I spoke with Anthony today- probably going to get me a stage 1 also.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am still very happy with the trans it has been doing it's job with no problems. It has been just over a year with the new trans installed and it's still going strong. Just found the other day I had a rear caliper sticking, so its been working a little harder then normal with no issues.

Best of luck with your truck, Anthony took good care of me and was easy to talk to. Hope you have the same experience.

Just curious how many miles did you put on your old trans before it failed and what type of issues are you having with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.