HELP!! 01 transmission destroyed will a 97 work? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation HELP!! 01 transmission destroyed will a 97 work?

I just bought a 2001 f350 srw manual trannyCrewcab long bed 2x4 first and 4th gear do not work at all it won't go into first and 4th just spins like neutral. The transmission whines constantly. I know it's time to rebuild or replace obviously. I found a zf5 from a 97 with clutch flywheel and pressure plate for 600 my question is will it fit and is it a direct bolt in? I plan on doing the work myself because I'm broke an I don't trust most mechanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can empathise with the being broke but "don't trust mechanics". ??? Well, since I'm a professional mechanic, don't think I'll waste my time trying to help you...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
I can empathise with the being broke but "don't trust mechanics". ??? Well, since I'm a professional mechanic, don't think I'll waste my time trying to help you...
It's not really that I don't trust all mechanics there are just few in my town and I have had bad experiences with untrustworthy people working on my family's vehicles and I elect to do my own work on my vehicle I also enjoy it and learn from my work and plan on going to tech school to be a diesel mechanic when I finish school because my town needs a mechanic that doesn't temporarily fix things or do nothing and charge a fortune. I apolegize for the way I worded that
Old 04-11-2013, 08:17 PM

yes/no, will work, but its NOT a plug/play swap. A ton of factors come into play for it to be a worthwhile swap....find a donor vehicle/tranny or get it rebuilt/buy a reman.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Sounds like you broke something (obviously). I can understand the don't trust mechanics thing b/c most of them where I am are thieves to be an understatement. But I am an outboard motor mechanic and also understand that you can't make everyone happy. My opinion is if you really want to do your own work then get you a service manual for that transmission and have at it. Speaking from experience hear.... if you haven't done it before or haven't atleast watched it been done then send it to someone who does it for a living... it will save you a lot of heartache in the end.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I may be able to trade some stuff for the zf5 so it would basically be free I was told the input shaft will have to be resplined is this accurate even if I have the flywheel from the obs? I'd really like to go ahead with this swap as a rebuilt/reman of the zf6 costs between $1900 to $2500 everywhere I've called I looked into rebuilding it myself but the mainshaft itself is $700 basically everything in this transmission is outrageously priced and it takes specialty tools to actually do it right. The most I could come up with is $500 I'm really in a bind here I've got time to do the work just not enough money
Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner062014 View Post
Well I may be able to trade some stuff for the zf5 so it would basically be free I was told the input shaft will have to be resplined is this accurate even if I have the flywheel from the obs? I'd really like to go ahead with this swap as a rebuilt/reman of the zf6 costs between $1900 to $2500 everywhere I've called I looked into rebuilding it myself but the mainshaft itself is $700 basically everything in this transmission is outrageously priced and it takes specialty tools to actually do it right. The most I could come up with is $500 I'm really in a bind here I've got time to do the work just not enough money
These trucks require money to fix and alot of it unless you have a junkyard nearby to go scavenge parts. Halfass it all you want but in the end you will pay the same or more to fix it right...like I said I learned the HARD way. Pay me now or pay me later is what it boils down to. If you are specializing in transmissions the more power to ya but trannys are a specialty that seems very few people can build to hold up for long.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM

zf5 instead of a zf6? what's the difference? - TheDieselGarage.com

ZF5 swap to superduty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.