Jerking from Torque Converter, Overdrive, or Cruise Control? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jerking from Torque Converter, Overdrive, or Cruise Control?

Hey guys I'm confused about what might be causing this. I don't know if its the torque converter locking/unlocking, the overdrive going in and out, or if it's related to the cruise control.

The symptoms seem to occur while I'm using the cruise control. There is one section of road on my way home that has a very slight downgrade to it about 30 yards long. But like clockwork, if I have the cruise control set at 60 MPH as soon as I hit that slight downgrade my truck jerks like the tranny is going in and out of overdrive. Once I'm past the small downgrade it smooths out, and drives perfect. I know it's not a bumpy defect in the road at that spot because it's happen to me one other time on a different road.

I've done all the regular maintenance on this truck and it otherwise runs/drives like new. The only thing I haven't done is flush the tranny and install a new filter. It doesn't have any indicator lights or anything on and I hooked several scanners to it and it has no codes.

So does it sound like the torque converter, overdrive, or a cruise control issue? Is there a module or sensor or something that can go bad and cause these symptoms? I hope so. I don't really know where to start.

Last edited by mtmc; 03-20-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need to hook up a scanner so you can see what is going on. Check to see how much torque converter slip there is and weather or not the TC is locked at the time. Otherwise you will just be guessing and throwing parts at it that may not have anything to do with the issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM

^ I did hook a scanner to it and there was nothing. How do I test the torque converter
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM

Ok guys after further investigation and with my buddy riding who has had several powerstrokes, we have determined that it feels like compressor surge. As soon as the stutter/jerking begins the boost gauge jumps around and the sound of the turbo changes along with the stutter. The RPM's never really change so we thought if it was a tranny issue, the RPM's would change drastically kind of like pushing the clutch in on a manual. All other factors are still in play. Same section of road, 60 MPH, stutters for 3-4 seconds then smooths out. We disconnected the cold air intake, drove it and it still did it. Then we took off the wastegate vacuum line and plugged it to check the wastegate and it still did it. The only thing I've done recently is install 3 pillar gauge one being a boost gauge. I installed it with a T into the map sensor line per the instructions. Now that I think about it, the kit came with 2 T's one with all end open completely and the other with the end going to the gauge with a small bras orifice in it? I can't remember if it did it prior to the gauges or not.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:37 PM

So I've come to the conclusion that it's interference from a former radio station tower. There is a big tower adjacent to the road exactly when my truck starts acting up. Apparently the tower is still broadcasting some sort of signal that's messing with my electronics. I know it sounds far fetched but I have found several other 7.3 owners online with the same symptoms from similar devices. I can't even stop at the old radio station in front of it as it completely kills my 7.3. I've driven this truck quite a bit and this is the only spot on my journey where it acts up.

Here's a guy that noticed the same issues while using his CB

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...rence-rfi.html

This is a reply from a guy on another forum where I was asking for the same help.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...745&highlight=

Similar occurrence:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...need-help.html

Last edited by mtmc; 05-15-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Just a quick update. I saw on facebook where a guy was having problems with a CB radio causing interference. Someone suggested unplugging the ICP sensor and trying it. So I figured I'd try it to see if it fixed my radio tower interference problem. It worked! Plugged in, the truck spit and sputtered and even shut off if I was close enough to the tower. Unplugged I had no problems what so ever. I noticed it had a new ICP installed when I got my truck so I assume the previous owner used a cheapo parts store ICP. I'm going to get an ICP from the Ford Dealership and hopefully it will take care of it for good.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 AM

A new OEM ICP from Ford/International alleviated the problem. So if anyone is experiencing any kind of radio or frequency interferrance from CB's, towers, HID's, etc... Spend a little extra and get an OEM replacement ICP, its worth it. Thanks to everyone who commented

Part Numbers:

Ford ICP = F6TZ-9F838-A
International ICP = 1807329C92

Last edited by mtmc; 11-04-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cruise control, jerking, overdrive, torque converter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.