School me on ZF6 maintenance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
School me on ZF6 maintenance

Hey guys the weather is starting to warm up here so project time is starting, so you guys need to school me on 6-speed maintenance since most the threads i read are about auto maintenance not manual.

So tell me what works for you guys with 6-speeds. What fluid, intervals, processes, special tools needed, etc. Anything you might deem worthy of saying. Like alot of people im afraid of looking at my tranny wrong let alone screwing up something but thats because i have never done it. Once i do it once ill be fine but i dont tend to like to crash course with such an expensive thing.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Chapter Director

bump guys any tips?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
really, pull the drainplug on the bottom. Let drain, then remove the same looking plug, in the middle of trans, on driv/side, and fill up from there to she spills over. I use MERCON V only. I feel the Amsoil syn crap, KILLED my trans/syncros. Also, depending on how many miles you got on her, may want to invest in a master/slave assy, because it seems when they let go, your in the middle of nowhere.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Chapter Director

well i know how to change the fluid im not talking about that, i mean like dropping the tranny and rebuilding it/replacing parts
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Why are you looking to pull it apart? Anything wrong with it? As far as dripping it to do a clutch they are fairly easy, they are just very heavy

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 ONE TON View Post
Why are you looking to pull it apart? Anything wrong with it? As far as dripping it to do a clutch they are fairly easy, they are just very heavy

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No but i just think i would be good to take it apart and maybe replacing the friction rings or whatever they are called i cant remember. and yes as for the clutch i might get an upgraded clutch.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 AM

damn things' a biatch to re-align to the flywheel. If i have to drop her again, once out, i'm grinding the molded floorpan joints, so the trans dont hang up on them.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Bean
Hey Pat I have had mine out and the case off of it cause the place that rebuilt it didnt shim it right and the input shaft keep taking out the seal on the front I couldnt find a big enough press or puller to get the front bearing off to shim it the right way so I made two shims out of paint can lids and put between the bearing and case and that fixed it as far aspulling any of the other gears or anything out I didnt go that far but i need to now a buddy who drives truck over the road tried to power shift it and burnt my first gear syncro so if you want help with it if we have a wrench day this summer i can show you a few things
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
Hey Pat I have had mine out and the case off of it cause the place that rebuilt it didnt shim it right and the input shaft keep taking out the seal on the front I couldnt find a big enough press or puller to get the front bearing off to shim it the right way so I made two shims out of paint can lids and put between the bearing and case and that fixed it as far aspulling any of the other gears or anything out I didnt go that far but i need to now a buddy who drives truck over the road tried to power shift it and burnt my first gear syncro so if you want help with it if we have a wrench day this summer i can show you a few things
Sweet sounds good, yea hopefully we can get some G2Gs this spring and summer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.