Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4r100 Shutters going into OD

9K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  JustinOOO9 
#1 ·
I just bought the truck, shifted fine when not quite up to operating temp. I was driving for a few days a noticed a shutter when going into OD. If I have my trailer (18' equipment trailer, normally loaded with large container trees and or a skid steer) it realy shutters! Any input? Filter change or is it time for the trans shop?

#7 ·
I dug deep to see if I could and all I found was a couple grand and some lint, so a BTS is a pipe dream at the moment. I'm selling an enclosed 24' I don't need anymore so I may find a way..

#8 ·
My trans guy, been using him for 13 years for anything from my race car to daily drivers called me and said the problem is the accumulator valve and a complete fluid change should fix any and all issues.

#10 ·
I actually have it on my list of "to do's" I just brought it to my buddies shop to make sure I wasn't gonna kill it. I would order an aftermarket valve body but I would have to overnight it because I cannot afford to have the truck down for more than a day or so. I know if I brought it to Zoomy (my trans guy) even if it needed a rebuild it would be ready by tomorrow. He is one of the best transmission mechanics I have ever used and he is more than reasonable on his prices. I was actually looking at JWA last night and wished I would have ordered one Friday.

#11 ·
FYI, I know from experience to make sure your 3rd brake light is working properly. If not, your transmission will suffer shifting problems, like a mild shudder. My transmission did that shifting to OD light shudder and replacing a light bulb repaired it. A transmission guy told me about this and said it is because the transmission is electronic. Any problems in circuits in electrical systems in cars can cause unrelated things to behave funny. I have also read on-line about 3rd brake lights out causing transmission problems.
After that, I keep ALL of my bulbs burning!

#12 ·
that makes absolutely no sense

a shudder or slip while going into a gear would be a line pressure or accumulator issue. a good flush might make it better but that slipage will still be there. a better valve body that will put more pressure on the solenoids and accumulators will be a far better fix.

#13 ·
I agree with you that one shouldn't relate to the other, but for Superdutys built around this time it is very true. The torque converter circuit is in the same bundle of wires that the brake lights are in returning to the PCM. This could cause a torque converter lock up "slip" at 40-45 mph on acceleration. I thought the same thing as you when I was told this until I bought a replacement 3rd brake light lamp (which was blown), installed it, and have never had that problem again. I found the following thread on this site saying what I am saying: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3-transmission-problems/273956-stalemate-my-trans.html

Trust me, I wouldn't believe it if it didn't happen to me.

#15 ·
I have had no more issues after the PCM being flashed at the dealer. I will keep that it mind about the 3rd brake light though. It had a Bully Dog GT on it when I bought it and after uninstalling it there were still weird issues.

#17 ·
I just put new 4r100 in my 2000 F250 7.3 .It had no batteries for 7 months while waiting to get this tranny. I installed the tranny . I rebuilt my injectors . I rebuilt my turbo and installed a wicked wheel .I put in a pedestal delete and put the chip in the pedestal plug. I rebuilt all the seals in my HPOP and new HPOLines and cross over and new HPR and IP sensor Rebuilt fuel bowl and new glow plugs and valve gaskets and new wire harness .I repaired some wire shorts where it had rubbed on the valve cover. My question is after all this .I filled up the tranny and primed up the oil pressure and fuel and fired up the truck . shifted from R to 1,2,D and back to park and checked tranny fluid again I added fluid and repeated this till it was at the full mark. Too the truck for drive and it shifted great into 1,2 and didnt want to shift up acted like it was slipping then i let up and it like shifted into high and started shuttering. I was told this was in limp mode and needed to be reprogrammed to this tranny? Please help does this sound right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.