99 7.3PSD - 4R100 Transmission - Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Uncle_Frank
99 7.3PSD - 4R100 Transmission - Help!

Hey y'all -

New to this website, but not new to the PSD! Having a couple of issues with my automatic 4R100 transmission.

1) When I drove to work this morning, the transmission was stuck in first gear. I would have to rev the motor, let off, and then get on it again to make it shift to second gear. I pulled a PO732, 2nd Gear Incorrect Ratio when I checked it.

A call to a local transmission shop says this is a mechanical issue, and something that has to be replaced with a newer part as Ford no longer makes the part due to its large unreliability in these transmissions.

For $2500, they will rebuild the transmission, including the part I need. (Rebuilding, they said, to handle the power by adding Bully Dog shift kit, better water flow system, new billet torque converter)

This worth it? Any other options that might help me spend my money better?

2) My transmission does what I call "free wheel" down hills. This is especially bad when Im towing down hill. What it does not do, if your confused, is literally release and I just roll free, the motor does not brake my truck at all.

Is this normal for my year and transmission? Is there anyway to keep the torque converter locked up to make the engine slow me and the truck down large grades?

Thanks in advance for your help. You guys rock!

JD Murphree
99 7.3 PSD

Edge Evolution Programmer
4" Downpipe
4" Custom, No Muffler, No Cat, Exhaust, 5" Tip Turned Down (In front of rear tire)
Triple Pillar Gauges by Banks (Boost, Pyro, Trans Temp)
Custom Water Meth Injection

Dyno Pull: 374HP, 675 FT/Lb (Corrected, with Water Meth)

Future Mods:
Propane Injection
Custom Intake
Injectors

Where My Money Has to Go
Custom Transmission - Gotta get to work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

""call to a local transmission shop says this is a mechanical issue, and something that has to be replaced with a newer part as Ford no longer makes the part due to its large unreliability in these transmissions.

For $2500, they will rebuild the transmission, including the part I need. (Rebuilding, they said, to handle the power by adding Bully Dog shift kit, better water flow system, new billet torque converter)

This worth it? Any other options that might help me spend my money better?""

They are correct about the bad part, Yes that is a reasonable price. What is the warranty??
The freewheeling down hill is a blown coast clutch piston. It is replaced as part of the o,haul and is quite common.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If they say the warranty is 12 mths 12000 miles,(very common), then say. If you're doeing all this, then the transmission should be better than stock, right? They will agree. Then you shouldn't have any reason not to warranty it for 2 years, would you? You might get double the warranty>>>
Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Uncle_Frank
Thanks

Thanks for replying -

I just got the truck back from the shop, and they have fixed my problems, as well as installed the upgrades.

As far as warranty, I got the typical 12 months, 12k miles. But, the shop is really cool, and if I have any problems, they said to call. I will keep the forum updated with this shop.

More posts on the upgrades after a few weeks for my review of them.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.