TRANS SHIFTING ISSUE AFTER CONVERTER INSTALL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TRANS SHIFTING ISSUE AFTER CONVERTER INSTALL

Hey had the typical rattling torque converter on my 99 7.3 stock trans... 70k miles.. Im running an edge evolution tuner and a bd pressure lock as recommended years back....it does lock the converter in 3rd. My issue now after installing a multi disk converter on my first trip pulling my fifth wheel I would kick the OD off like normal entering the grade and typically it would run the grades great in 3rd gear lock up at any throttle setting... But strangly now it will while in 3gear hunt like go in and out of lockup acting almost like a downshift up and down to the point where I have to slow and put it into 2nd gear.... I simply slide a new converter on and refilled with new fluid... Nothing else changed!!! Stock trans... Same programmer.... For now I disconnected the bd pressure loc now there's no lock up at all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoholic78 View Post
Hey had the typical rattling torque converter on my 99 7.3 stock trans... 70k miles.. Im running an edge evolution tuner and a bd pressure lock as recommended years back....it does lock the converter in 3rd. My issue now after installing a multi disk converter on my first trip pulling my fifth wheel I would kick the OD off like normal entering the grade and typically it would run the grades great in 3rd gear lock up at any throttle setting... But strangly now it will while in 3gear hunt like go in and out of lockup acting almost like a downshift up and down to the point where I have to slow and put it into 2nd gear.... I simply slide a new converter on and refilled with new fluid... Nothing else changed!!! Stock trans... Same programmer.... For now I disconnected the bd pressure loc now there's no lock up at all....
Just want to start with the basics- did you reconnect the pressure loc & disconnect the Edge tuner to see if it made a difference? As far as upgrading your TC with a multi-disc, have you also upgraded your valve body or a reprogramming kit for the accumulator? When you upgrade the TC only, the valve body & the accumulator should be ugraded as well. It's nice having a good TC, but will not react the same as a stock piece would without proper modifications.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Just want to start with the basics- did you reconnect the pressure loc & disconnect the Edge tuner to see if it made a difference? As far as upgrading your TC with a multi-disc, have you also upgraded your valve body or a reprogramming kit for the accumulator? When you upgrade the TC only, the valve body & the accumulator should be ugraded as well. It's nice having a good TC, but will not react the same as a stock piece would without proper modifications.
I did try running it without the pressure loc and was ok since it won't go into lockup in 3rd with out it...... The rest of the trans in stock.... I just installed the converter due to noise.....
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
I did try running it without the pressure loc and was ok since it won't go into lockup in 3rd with out it...... The rest of the trans in stock.... I just installed the converter due to noise.....
Gotcha. But the TC you installed isn't OEM, right? What kind of TC is it exactly?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Gotcha. But the TC you installed isn't OEM, right? What kind of TC is it exactly?
https://racerxusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=295
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Ah! That makes more sense! What kind of ATF are you using?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Ah! That makes more sense! What kind of ATF are you using?
Mercon V I have been running that for quit a few years since it was recommended by a trans shop when my old converter was shuddering going into 4th gear lock up... After that I got the tuner which seemed to dial in the lock up problem...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Mercon V I have been running that for quit a few years since it was recommended by a trans shop when my old converter was shuddering going into 4th gear lock up... After that I got the tuner which seemed to dial in the lock up problem...
Here's the deal about MERCON V & the early 4R100s: MERCON V was recommended in all transmissions, via a Ford Bulletin back in 2006. The big thing they didn't take into account is the lighter-duty coaster drum most early 4R100s & all E4ODs have. I'll bet if you upgraded the coaster drum/assembly to the heavier-duty units found in '01-'03 4R100s, you wouldn't have a problem with the new TC. The TC will give you slightly higher line pressure than a completely stock TC will have. It'll change the characteristics of the transmission & it's performance. The thing that sucks about this is, the coaster's cheap(about $90), but if you can't take the trans out yourself, it'll have to go to a trans shop.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Here's the deal about MERCON V & the early 4R100s: MERCON V was recommended in all transmissions, via a Ford Bulletin back in 2006. The big thing they didn't take into account is the lighter-duty coaster drum most early 4R100s & all E4ODs have. I'll bet if you upgraded the coaster drum/assembly to the heavier-duty units found in '01-'03 4R100s, you wouldn't have a problem with the new TC. The TC will give you slightly higher line pressure than a completely stock TC will have. It'll change the characteristics of the transmission & it's performance. The thing that sucks about this is, the coaster's cheap(about $90), but if you can't take the trans out yourself, it'll have to go to a trans shop.
Ah. Got ya... I also remember a conversation with the gentleman at racer x about the fact that I should remove the pressure loc anyways because of line pressure issues now... Or I think he said the pressure loc's were for older models? I wondered if I was gonna have to upgrade more stuff... Valve body ect. Or a better tuner to control shifts and lock up
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Ah. Got ya... I also remember a conversation with the gentleman at racer x about the fact that I should remove the pressure loc anyways because of line pressure issues now... Or I think he said the pressure loc's were for older models? I wondered if I was gonna have to upgrade more stuff... Valve body ect. Or a better tuner to control shifts and lock up
Yeah, usually if when it comes to the trans- when you upgrade 1 area, you'll need to upgrade all key areas afterward. I'd look into a valve body upgrade for starters & then, since you tow, I'd also look into a reprogramming kit(shift kit) for your accumulator. Like you've also said, look into some good custom tunes for your next chip/programmer. It'll make a world of a difference on your trans for optimal shift performance for your upgrades. I'm sure you've heard it here before, but Tony Wildman & DP Tuners are the best bang for your buck, as they can program your trans tunes according to your truck's engine AND trans mods. Like I've said, check your dipstick on your trans & make certain it says MERCON V. I'm 90% sure, by what you're telling me how it's acting, you'll need MERCON.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.