Possibly over reacting/wierd shifts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possibly over reacting/wierd shifts

Hey fellas i had my transmission rebuilt about 6000 miles ago and just the other day while washing my truck i accidentally got the temperature sender wet. On my way home my autometer read 180 degrees which is way high since ambient was like -5 so i got home investigated and low and behold the connector was wet. after drying and reinstalling temp dropped instantly to 101. so since that almost heart attack i have been watching transmission like a hawk i noticed today while cruising at 40 mph at about 1300 rpm i went to roll into throttle and my tranny instead of downshifting just bogged down and slowly accelerated until i applied 3/4 or more throttle then it down shifted it felt like it was hanging. so i get on interstate and was cruising at 60 when i let off throttle to exit my tq didn't disengage till i had slowed by at least 15-20 mph. other than that the fluid still looks new smells new ect. am i just over reacting after the (wet transmission sender ordeal) or are these occurrences not right. i have a tendency to over react to small things especially when it comes to my truck.(every noise is a catastrophic failure)

thanks

2002 f350 172k miles 7.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jme24 View Post
Hey fellas i had my transmission rebuilt about 6000 miles ago and just the other day while washing my truck i accidentally got the temperature sender wet. On my way home my autometer read 180 degrees which is way high since ambient was like -5 so i got home investigated and low and behold the connector was wet. after drying and reinstalling temp dropped instantly to 101. so since that almost heart attack i have been watching transmission like a hawk i noticed today while cruising at 40 mph at about 1300 rpm i went to roll into throttle and my tranny instead of downshifting just bogged down and slowly accelerated until i applied 3/4 or more throttle then it down shifted it felt like it was hanging. so i get on interstate and was cruising at 60 when i let off throttle to exit my tq didn't disengage till i had slowed by at least 15-20 mph. other than that the fluid still looks new smells new ect. am i just over reacting after the (wet transmission sender ordeal) or are these occurrences not right. i have a tendency to over react to small things especially when it comes to my truck.(every noise is a catastrophic failure)

thanks

2002 f350 172k miles 7.3
You should monitor your trans gauge the same way you monitor boost or EGT. One snowy/icy winter I almost gave myself a heart attack too. I was driving through a snow storm & just happened to look at my trans temp & it was @ 210*! Suddenly, it went down to 100* back to 210* & then back to 100* yet again & stayed. The next day it was snowing again & the exact same thing happened. I found out that ice was caked on my trans cooler & the transmission was overheating a little until the ice on the cooler melted. From that point on, I've melted the ice off the trans cooler whenever I find it & I've never had the problem since.

As far as the condition, don't go by what you see on the dipstick. Drain a small amount into a clean, light-colored container. That'll tell you a better story.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well, I haven't got a trans temp gauge yet. My truck is basically stock, but I know my tranny does the exact same thing. It takes about 5-6 seconds for my truck to respond to any throttle. Then like you said, it doesn't want to downshift. I also have a annoying vibration/grinding noise that I can't find. I had a massive issue with my 4x4 to where I needed up pulling axle shafts and driveshaft and running it 2 wheel drive. I am hoping and praying that my grinding and hesitation problems are not indicative of my tranny about to cark it!

And I know what you mean about any little noise! This truck is my baby and I freak every time I hear/feel something new!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddawg89 View Post
Well, I haven't got a trans temp gauge yet. My truck is basically stock, but I know my tranny does the exact same thing. It takes about 5-6 seconds for my truck to respond to any throttle. Then like you said, it doesn't want to downshift. I also have a annoying vibration/grinding noise that I can't find. I had a massive issue with my 4x4 to where I needed up pulling axle shafts and driveshaft and running it 2 wheel drive. I am hoping and praying that my grinding and hesitation problems are not indicative of my tranny about to cark it!

And I know what you mean about any little noise! This truck is my baby and I freak every time I hear/feel something new!
As far as the grinding/vibration, let's start off with the easy stuff 1st: Have you checked your u-joints in both driveshafts? And when was the last time your tranny was serviced? Any kind of service- drain/fill w/ filter or flush. Like I had said to the OP: also check the condition of your fluid from the pan not the dipstick.

Tell me what exactly your trans is doing. Is it the exact same as the OP's, or do you have any other issues?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

Well, I'm not sure about temp, but basically it's the same problems. Although this morning on the way to school, it acted more to the normal side, but still a bit of lag. It also wants to shift late then when it does, wham! I thought this was normal because dads e4od does the same, just not as hard. It shifts at around 3000 rpms. I admittedly, have not changed the trans fluid in 20,000 miles. When I got the truck in April, while waiting on the bank, the owner had problems with the torque converter and had it replaced. He supposedly had the fluids throughout the truck replaced. He was pretty up front and honest about everything so I believe that he did. I've had so many problems with 4x4 that the tranny has been back burner
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddawg89 View Post
Well, I'm not sure about temp, but basically it's the same problems. Although this morning on the way to school, it acted more to the normal side, but still a bit of lag. It also wants to shift late then when it does, wham! I thought this was normal because dads e4od does the same, just not as hard. It shifts at around 3000 rpms. I admittedly, have not changed the trans fluid in 20,000 miles. When I got the truck in April, while waiting on the bank, the owner had problems with the torque converter and had it replaced. He supposedly had the fluids throughout the truck replaced. He was pretty up front and honest about everything so I believe that he did. I've had so many problems with 4x4 that the tranny has been back burner
It almost sounds like you might have some sticking springs or gunk inside the accumulator. The accumulator is what makes/breaks your truck's shifting performance. A lot of times, when you have build-up inside the shift valves of the accumulator & the springs will stick either against the valve itself or the stopper on the other side. It's actually an easy process if you don't mind draining your ATF & taking the pan off. It's worth a try & it won't cost you any money unless you decide to replace the ATF & filter while you've got the pan down. Also- I looked at your sig & didn't notice if you had any tuner. You DO NOT, right? Just want to narrow down the possibilities.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Right, no tuner yet.too many problems that takes all my money..... Plus I'm a college student.... Lol. I'll drain the tranny tonight when I get out of the woods. I appreciate the help!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Would that also cause a vibration?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

Does just draining the tranny fix it or is there some other process?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Oh, and I pulled the axles out of the front so the u joints are out of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.