2x4 to 4x4 auto tranny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2x4 to 4x4 auto tranny

I have a 01 F350 4x4 auto. I was given a 2x4 tranny. can i just take off the tail cone and put my adapter plate on without having to tear into the tranny and change anything out. Ive been seeing 50/50 on this. some say yeah some say no. dont wanna waste the new tranny. was rebuilt with stage 2 shift kit. and FREE. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian73178 View Post
I have a 01 F350 4x4 auto. I was given a 2x4 tranny. can i just take off the tail cone and put my adapter plate on without having to tear into the tranny and change anything out. Ive been seeing 50/50 on this. some say yeah some say no. dont wanna waste the new tranny. was rebuilt with stage 2 shift kit. and FREE. thanks
Do you have the 4x4 that's engaged by switch or by lever?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its by switch. electronic controlled
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Quote:
Its by switch. electronic controlled
Ok. 1st & foremost, before you get pi$$ed, I don't actually know if you can convert a 2x trans to a 4x trans. I'm a good mechanic on the 4R100/E4OD, but I've never done a 2x-4x conversion. But since you were given the 2x trans, you can try a little experiment. If the 2x trans is empty, & you've got a clean area to lay parts & the transmission out, start by removing the tailshaft housing. If your 4x trans is out of your truck this next part will be easy, but it can be done on the ground or on a lift with 2 people; Disconnect the 2 wiring harnesses & the rubber breather hose on the transfer case. Unbolt your transfer case from the trans(x6 13mm bolts: USE A 12pt WRENCH!!!). If you wiggle it up & down, it'll eventually slide out. If the trans is out of the truck, it's easiest. If it's in the air, it's 2nd easiest, if you're on the ground----BE CAREFUL! Your transfer case weighs about 80-90lb. 2 people will need to secure it out of the truck no matter which way you're working on the truck. Some ATF will come out of transfer case/rear of the trans. Just make sure you catch what comes out with a drain pan & discard it.

There's an adapter with intermediate gears between the transfer case & the tail of the trans. Since the bolt pattern is the same on both sides, see if the tailshaft housing off the 2x matches with the adapter on the 4x. You also need to count the teeth on both impeller shafts(splines) of both trans' & make sure they have the same amount of teeth & they're the same size. The only thing that's making me think this won't work is the tailshaft housing's bolt pattern on the 2x, if my memory serves me correct(haven't done a 2x in a LONG time), has a strange offset where the 4x4's is almost in the center. BEFORE YOU TAKE APART ANYTHING: Give both trans' tail housings a visual inspection to see if the offsets are different. If they look close, try to follow the directions above & see if they match. If there's any type of difference, don't waste your time; it won't work. You'll save yourself a lot of aggrivation.

If it does work- drain your transfer case after installation & fill it with new ATF. You have to remove the adapter/intermediate gears from the 4x4's trans(the intermediate gears in the adapter are an assembly; nothing should fall out but a little ATF). The input in the assembly should slide onto the spline of the output shaft on the back of the trans. You'll need to replace the 2 gaskets for the adapter too. If you get them from Ford, they come 2 in a pack(both sides are the same bolt pattern)& will run you about $30-$35. Then, bolt the transfer case to the adapter; keep in mind install is reverse of removal. You still need 2 people to reinstall the transfer case, line it up, & bolt it back in.

Another thing you have to keep in mind if you make it further than the visual inspection & it turns out this all works; the adapter is also the rear mount of the 4x's transmission. You'll have to unbolt the (2) 21mm bolts on the bottom & secure the transmission by the pan with a floor jack & a piece of wood. If you can secure the trans with a jack & remove the crossmember it mounts into, it makes it so much easier to remove/install the adapter's 13mm bolts on the bottom.

Hope this all helps, man.

Last edited by RadarRider; 01-22-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks so much for the help. I will be heading home tomorow. I will get back to you and let you know if it will work or not so as to let anyone else know. Again thanks alot.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Thanks so much for the help. I will be heading home tomorow. I will get back to you and let you know if it will work or not so as to let anyone else know. Again thanks alot.
No problems, man. If you get stumped on anything let us know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.