Temperature rises when manual hubs locked - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temperature rises when manual hubs locked

Hey,

I'm fairly new to the diesel world. I've noticed my transmission temperature rises about 45 degrees F when my manual hubs are locked in, whether I am in 4x4 or not. I don't even have to be driving hard, in fact I drive slower and it still climbs. I live in snow country so this isn't a good sign as I'd like to drive through the whole winter with the hubs locked in for convenience. I do believe that either my front wheel bearings or hub assemblies should be replaced because I can wiggle the tire and hear some rubbing at very slow speed and sharp cornering.. would this go hand in hand with the temperature rise or is this a separate problem?

thanks for the help folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This isn't technically an answer, but you should replace your hubs because they are wiggling, and I would never drive with my hubs locked. I accidentally made a long road trip with the front right hub locked - it started sounding like chains dragging across the highway at speed. It's not good for your hubs to be locked an not engaged.

I would be concerned about that heat up, tho. Have you checked your trans fluid and your filter on the trans? Have you checked your diff fluid and gears up front? Even though everything is not engaged, everything is still spinning when your hubs are locked.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Having your hubs locked is fine. Many people do it and many vehicles use flanges instead of lockouts so they are always engaged. You will have more stuff moving so there will be a loss of MPG.

With the transfer case in 2x, the front drive shaft is disconnected so whatever is causing your transmission to heat up is limited to the front axle. Try jacking up the front, and spinning the wheels both with and without the hubs locked. I am guessing something is dragging, possibly a bearing.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM

X2. Sounds like something in the front end is causing excess drag. Most likely a bearing but it wont be a hub bearing. I am not saying your hub bearings are good, just that they always spin whether the hubs are in or not.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
X2. Sounds like something in the front end is causing excess drag. Most likely a bearing but it wont be a hub bearing. I am not saying your hub bearings are good, just that they always spin whether the hubs are in or not.
I was thinking the carrier bearing but I was waiting to see if both sides are stiff before making the assumption.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 AM

Yeah I understand.
it could also be the axle yoke inside the hub dragging from a bad bearing.

OP needs to do some more diag! Lol
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses.. I'm gonna take a look at it on Wednesday to see what I can figure out
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So after a complete front end inspection I found the following... the track bar is loose, right tie rod end is bent pretty good, the brake backing plates were rubbing the rotors, front drive shaft u joint is loose, the right axle seal is blown out and kinda hanging loose, and the left hub has evidence of water in it.... I rotated the tires and repaired the backing plates just for a start, but it looks like I'll be spending quite a bit of time and money on the front end now haha... that leveling kit and big tires is gonna have to wait!

thanks, hopefully this fixes the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.